Seized castor bush - new arm?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2.0 sport mk3 prht
  2. I’m based near: _ Leatherhead
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: seized alignment bush

Hi all,
The near side castor (I think, the one at the back of the front lower arm that has the adjuster running vertically through it) is seized. When trying to adjust, the bolt turns and twists the rubber rather than rotating inside and pushing the arm around.

This will be a pig to get out, presume I will need to drill it out. The nut is on the bottom, so there is a possibility I can hammer it through…

A new arm is about £180 with all bushes in place. Can you simply buy a replacement bush? I have seen after market poly bushes, but would rather stay with rubber oem if only changing a singe bush.

Or even better - has anyone ever successfully un-seized one of these? (Mine is soaked in silicon release agent at the minute awaiting arrival of the big hammer).

Yes, I believe the bush is available separately.

With regards removing the bolt, there was a recall on the lower arms of RX-8 (same set-up as NC), and each Mazda dealer was supplied with an electric induction heater tool and electric “hammer” to aid removal of seized the bolts, which apparently was very effective, I’ve not used it myself. I’ve had to remove caster bolts without the use of those toolS and it’s not a job I‘d want to do again. It maybe worth taking the car to a Mazda dealer and just paying them to replace the castor bolts for you.

1 Like

Scratch that. Got the old one moving with silicon spray, wd 40, butane torch, bottle jack, big hammer and some knuckle skin.

Even cheaper than a rubber bush.

Nice work!

1 Like

I guess there are degrees of ‘seized’ and I got lucky.

Yes, the RX-8s subject to that recall went back to 2003.

I sympathise with your struggle; over the lockdown period I have replaced all eight on my Mk1.

One sheared the nut on the front, one came out looking like a barley sugar twist, one needed the angle grinder and one released and will go in the spares box. The rears were easier in that two sheared and two are now spares.

All set for a four-wheel alignment now.

Dave