Selling my fathers Rover 400

Finally convinced my dad that 82 is old enough to give up driving. Last year he only did 40 miles and he can hardly walk. I won’t go into what he pays in road tax, insurance and roadside recovery. Anyway, I managed to convince him time has come and for my efforts now I have to sell his car. It’s an N reg rover 400 auto. It’s solid enough with about 40k on the clock, but the green paint is awful, a real mess. Not helped by my dads diy paint job on the back end.

Question is what’s the best way to shift it. Don’t want to advertise it in the paper as I have no desire to trade at this end of the market. I got a quote for £190, collected for scrap. Is that my best and most realistic option.

Anyone been here before?

hi dave , £190 is a decent offer :flushed:
my mate just got rid of ford KA with just 50k on clock , WBAC offered £130 , he ended up getting £170 from scrapper :flushed: :flushed:

Look at removemycar.co.uk website they give an instant quote then allow you to put it up for bidding just incase you get more…

Thanks Bruce, these were the guys who offered £197. Seems a simple enough process. Can’t see me getting much more

Used them a few years ago to get rid of a fat bottom Megane that threw it’s cambelt. Can’t remember the exact figure but the bidding auction got me around £100 more than the scrap value.

Maybe pop it on a couple of rover forums. N reg auto is probably the Honda 1.6 engine, reliable motor.
Aronline.co.uk etc

1 Like

Try ebay with a reserve of a set amount (£500??) And see if it fetches that much. Nothing to lose if it doesn’t sell.

As above, EBay is your bets bet if you don’t know the value - it’ll go for what someone wants to pay.

If you know what you want, freebay sites are the best place to shift cheap cars, stick it up for £250 and it’ll be gone within the week

How much MoT does it have? Very important on cheap cars.

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I took the car out today. It’s really quite nice. Some slight rust and bad paint on boot lid and bumper, but otherwise it’s ok. He’s had it since 2004 as second owner and been garaged every night. Mot is until end of January. He has done 20,000 since 2004 and has an impeccable service history. If this was an MX5 I would now be thinking I had found a hidden gem, but it’s a rover 400!

I reached out to the rover forum and had a mixed response. One guy interested as a project. One saying go ebay, one saying take scrap value.

Ive sent pics to the interested party and if that goes nowhere I’ll try eBay I think. If I could get £4-£500 I would be happy.

Just want to do best by my father to soften the blow

Have been successful with eBay for motorcycle and cars. As others have said put it up for auction with a price you would be happy with and let it roll. You never know you get a few people bidding and you will have a real smile on your face at the end. Wouldn’t use buy it now in my opinion. Just research the final value fee for selling private cars. Good luck :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Try gumtree , it’s free to post add .
I sold my daughters 57 plate micra last year with minimal mot and large dent in rear quarter :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil: for £300

1 Like

I’ve sold a couple of cars on the site below including my Mk1. Just register and post the ad I believe.
There’s a Rover 400 on there atm, I wouldn’t price it too high if you want to shift it.

2 Likes