Service every 12 months or when Wrench appears?

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND
  2. I’m based near: Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Service Interval.

Hi, hoping to pick up my 2017 ND this weekend. It was last serviced in Feb 2022 approx 4000 miles ago.

I have read a few posts on this forum and the online MX5 manual which states ‘In any case, every maintenance must be done within 20,000 km or 12 months at the latest after the previous maintenance, whichever of the three events (20,000 km, 12 months or display/wrench indication) occurs first.’

The MyMazda app also indicates that the service is overdue. But if I download the digital service record it states 'Adjusted Intervals - Please note: SKYACTIV Technology uses actual driving conditions to calculate the next required service and displays it on your vehicle’s system. Wrench indication light will illuminate 1.000 km or 15 days before the necessary service". Estimation values below’

However, the car itself is not showing the wrench symbol - so I am a bit confused … :confused:
Any clear guidance on this?

1 Like

Oddly enough my wrench has just come on so im going to book it in for a service, no doubt my local mazda dealer will know the cars history and give me the service i need.
I downloaded the ‘my mazda’ app and it gave me the service history, not much else mind :joy:

It needs a service based on time interval regardless of the wrench indicator. The wrench indicator light could have been re-set without the service being done or it could have been set incorrectly.

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully get it booked in asap.

Time interval, like a year? Its not mileage because my nd has just done 11,000 miles in six years, a thousand of that in the last month :joy:

My advice is to service the car annually or no more than 10k miles including transmission oils.
Mazda clearly knows of things like high diff temps as they have fitted a plastic air scoop to cool it.

Also due to direct injection and the build carbon we are now seeing in 5/6yr old cars done 30k+ we would also recommend a carbon clean to reduce/breakdown the carbon buildup.

Check service history carefully before purchasing

Thanks Rodders, i didnt know they were that delicate.
Luckily mine has a yearly service history, averaging about 1400 miles a year so not heavily used.

I change my engine, diff & gearbox oil annually, even though I only typically do between 2 - 3k miles a year.

Thank you Rodders
The last service was the 5th one (62,500) at a main dealer. According to the schedule that includes the transmission oil change.
It has been 13 months but only 4k miles - would still recommend the transmission oil?
I have found a couple of indies in my area, so hopefully it won’t be too taxing on the wallet !
Cheers