Service history dilema

Hi, just wanted to ask members a question regarding my 1994 mk2 1.6. When I purchased the car from the original owner it came with a very extensive service/repair history from new all carried out by the original supplier Magna Mazda who I think are based in Dorset, it has come the time for me to have the car serviced (only done 41k!) I was on the ‘spanners’ myself for nearly 15 years so am more than capable of doing the work myself or have a very reliable independent garage close by. My nearest Mazda garage is about a 25minute drive away,so my question is do I pay top prices at the Mazda dealer and keep up its excellent service record, getting the book stamped etc, take it to my local Chaps who could also put their own stamp in it, or do the work myself, save a load of cash and just log the invoices for parts used? any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Assuming 1994 is a typo and it should read 2004 or MKII is a typo and it should read MKI, on a car that age, assuming you can do it yourself to a high standard then that’s what I’d do. As you say, keep all receipts and fill in the service record yourself. You can download a service checklist from the Downloads area, print one off, follow and tick it and keep that too.

1 Like

Very tricky dilemma.
Depend on the overall condition of bodywork for me.
I went through the same with a car I have… although not a classic , Merc c320 on a 56 plate (bought new) still in superb condition and only covered 115,000 miles (nothing on a 3ltr engine)
Full no expense spared dealer history until 5 years ago when I started using an independent local shop.
But over the last year Ive done the graft myself.
I document everything I do with photos, buy quality parts, keep the receipts etc etc.
Its never going to pay back what Ive spent, its probably worth a couple of grand part ex but to me its worth a lot more.
If I ever sell it on private then the photos etc along with history may give new owner piece of mind.

DIY, sounds like you are very capable.:+1:

Save proof as in receipts and note the date and mileage changed etc or keep a log of the events.
I’ve got a folder full of receipts to show a potential buyer, it means just as much on an older car as a stamped service book

Imo a dealer history is pretty irrelevant once a car gets to 6 or 7 years old, the exception being Porsche.
As long as a seller can show annual maintenance has been carried out, and equally as important any issues flagged have been dealt with, a dealer history is just throwing money away.
There are plenty of independents out there that offer a far higher level of pragmatic service for older cars, and the cars end value will not be affected by using one.

2 Likes

I don’t think dealer history is all that. There’s places that some how legally sell the stamps, so if you had a booklet you could just stamp it yourself and then claim it’s full dealer history, works for older cars I guess but newer ones might have some information on a server but some only hold it for 10 years max.

I think an invoice with works carried out is best, be it main dealer or independent.
My main dealer history shows basic information, I.E service @ 30k where as independent shows, oil filter, engine oil, oil brand, fluids changed etc

Thanks very much for all your prompt, helpful advice, and yes sorry it was a typing error, car is 2004!!. Having read through your responses I think I will carry out the work myself using ‘as you say’ quality parts and document all the work undertaken with associated invoices. Thanks again.

As said, I think if you document what you do, fill in the book date,. mileage etc and attach the receipts for parts that is sufficient.

1 Like

I’m not sure what aftermarket oil filters for the mx5 and it’s various engines are like, but for peace of mind after a bad experience of a non genuine filter collapsing internally I’ve always used genuine o/e filters when doing my own oil changes on bikes as well as cars.
The cost difference is negligible in the greater scheme of things.

3 Likes

Yes, as others do, I do all my own servicing on my 2001 NB. I also have my own service checklist in spreadsheet format (similar to the own available for download), which mirrors the Mazda service requirements. It gets printed out and completed every year, and all the parts receipts are stapled to it and added to the file.
No idea why I do this other than for my own satisfaction, as I don’t ever plan on selling this car.

1 Like