Shifter bushing fitment guidance

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk1, 1993 Eunos Roadster, manual
  2. I’m based near: Glasgow, Scotland
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: troubles installing shifter bushing

Hi All,

I’m looking for some guidance on the installation of my new short shifter. The shifter bushing does not seem to want to be inserted into the turret which is preventing me from completing the installation.

Ive tried freezing the new shifter bushing and there doesnt appear to be any reminants of the old shifter bushing in the turret (see photos). Happy to be correctrd if my eyes have failed me.

I also attemped the installation of a new bushing when I did a shifter rebuild a couple of years ago, but failed to get this in also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m sick of the sloppy gear changes.

Hi

Re your gearstick lower bush problem.

Can I please ask if you have managed to resolve this?

I appear to be having a similar problem with my late MK1. I couldn’t see any option but to reassembled the gearbox with the new bush as per your photo.

It did mean having to stretch the lower gearshift boot a few millimetres so that I could bolt it to the top of the gearbox but there was enough play. Plus the car seems to change gears OK.

Ther is still some occasional snagging when selecting gears and so ti can easily convince myself that something still isn’t right.

Please let me know how you’re getting on with this and I promise the same

Regards

Tom Poole