Should I polish and wax my hard top roof?

Hey

I’ve searched through the forum and can’t quite find a definitive answer on this. I have a 3.75 sport tech with the power hardtop. I’m about to wash, polish and wax it for the first time. Aware the roof if some sort of plastic.

Should I stop at the at shampoo on the roof or polish and wax that too?

Thanks!

1 Like

I have the hardtop and use the same polish and wax over all the bodywork.
The paint finish should be the same from factory👍.

3 Likes

Fab, was hoping that was the case. Thank you!

No charge!!:grin:

1 Like

Must read text more carefully. I originally thought its a soft top. Yes i agree if its a hardtop its the same paint hence same cleaning and polishing products as the body.

2 Likes

Hey, we have an NA with a hardtop so appreciate some differences but we give the full lot the same treatment and seems to do no harm.

What, you don’t polish your soft-top?! What’s wrong with you man?

2 Likes

Hahaha :sweat_smile:

I would polish and wax,anything to protect it from the elements lots of reported paint problems with the paint on the tops.Fom clear coat failure to paint coming off in little white specs.

1 Like

My mate has a 2010 NC that this happened to.
It was the retractable piece next to the boot lid that sits up against the rear window. He told me that there were some contaminants in certain paint colours, which allowed the paint to lift in the white specs. His was the dark blue colour scheme.
Being a bit of a ‘Don’t look at things, see them’ person, I noticed that on You Tube, JayEmm on Cars and the BBR Super 200 review he did on the 2005 NC, the same thing is happening. (Bottom R/H corner of screen)
You can view it at 4.05 on the link below…The whole of the video is great viewing👍

There the ones…mine has a few.How I park mine next to the tress my car is mostly in the shade but a tiny bit of the roof is in the sun,thats the part that’s gone like in the video not that many though.

Sounds right.
My mates is parked outside and it went all the way across where the sun got to it.
He had his sanded back and resprayed a couple of years ago and nothing has reappeared.

1 Like

My 25yAE was full of swirls, particularly the Black roof when I bought it.
Massive difference with a 3 stage polish & Ceramic coat

7 Likes

That looks ‘The Dogs’.
What polish and ceramic coat did you use?

I am afraid a job like this is way beyond my skill levels!
I had it done by a Professional in Leeds.
He used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra, which I believe can only be applied by a trained Gtechniq detailer.
Not cheap but it transformed the car.

Thanks for the information.
I’ll have a look in the Derby area👍

I did mine myself.

1 Like