Should I use the AGM mode of my Bosch C3 charger?

It was in reply for MoldCad. :+1:

“The MX5 NC2 2.0 has never needed charging, even during Lockdown 1”
999, did you mean ND2? Is it a i-eloop/i-stop car?

I take it it WAS you that posted 2 hours ago the one above my reply?

My MX5 Is an NC2 without stop/start and didn’t need charging during our first, tough lockdown.

However, I also have a BMW diesel with stop-start and an enormous AGM battery.

That one did need charging. My small, cheap charger did manage to charge it but it did take a long time.

Yes sorry, I meant the OP.

1 Like

I will repeat, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that resets your system. I can not see any reason not to do this.
It is clear from the technical information from Mazda that none of the battery chargers that most of us use, including the one you use are the ‘correct’ ones for the type of battery fitted to the ND2.
What damage if any we are doing is unclear.
:heart:

Time being money and all that, I can’t help wondering if the chargers the Mazda dealers use have high charge rates largely to speed things up??

1 Like

My memory might be faulty here, but the current value RR mentioned for the Mazda charger seemed to be the same as that written on the battery.

As part of customer QUICK service it makes good sense to charge it at the maximum rate the battery is designed for, of course following the time limit guidelines dictated by initial rest voltage.

More fractured memory. I think one of the battery manufacturers mentions that higher charge current in EFB promotes more efficient circulation of the acid to prevent zoning (?) effects.

It’s getting late, and been a long day…

It’s interesting that the Ctek Start/Stop charger CTEK CT5 START/STOP is slightly cheaper that the CTEK MXS 5.0…

Which do you think I should buy, or is it all just a marketing blah blah?

Finally from me on the subject.
Swings and roundabouts… Like shopping at Sainsburys or Aldi? :man_shrugging:
I doubt if any of the modern chargers will damage your battery or vehicle electrics.
I don’t know to be honest have a read of the different specifications which suits your needs best.
There comes a point in life where you just have to make a decision and go for it.
Good luck.