Silly question on boot light

I got mine from

The boot light was a bit tight on length but ok.

Iā€™ve always wondered why there isnā€™t some sort of courtesy/emergency light fitted under the bonnet, seems to me to be an obvious place to have one. :thinking:
PS: As Richard says, with a manual switch. :+1:

The better cars in the past did have them, usually a manual switch, but my old Bossā€™s ancient Rover had a problem with the automatic switch and I fitted a manually operated isolator instead for him.

1 Like

Sorted thanks. Makes a big difference to the light quality

2 Likes

I just replaced the interior and boot light with eBay 31mm LED lights too.
The interior was easy enough but the LEDs had more rounded contact ends than the original and one end would slide out as I was pushing in the other end of the boot light. I put a bit of blue roll around a pair of long-nose pliers to pad them and grabbed the LED carefully by the middle. I could then slide it into place.

An obvious question here but Iā€™ve just taken a look at the boot lid lights on my Mk2 MX-5. There is a fair bit of rust around the lights and a fair bit of water sloshing around the insides of the lights. How do these lights come off as I donā€™t want to break them. They certainly seem very reluctant to budge. Thanks.

(Later) Iā€™ve found this - Mx5 Mk2/2.5 NB rear number plate light removal and fault repair - Mazda-Menders

Today I removed the rear numberplate lights carefully by pushing them sideways taking note of the arrow on the side of the lights, then carefully levering them out of their appertures. I cleaned up the rust, added a couple of coats of anti-rust stuff (Jenolite Rust Converter), two coats of etch primer then two coats of silver paint (Mazda 8G7490). Done.