Silverstone Classic 2019 - 26th to 28th July

Many thanks to all who set up and ran the excellent organisation for this event.  Warbird has posted superb pictures so I’ll add some side interest on a personal note.

There were many other car clubs there including one which had a car almost exactly the same as my old Cavalier, same colour and age, same lack of rust…

Almost my old Cavalier

And then there was an old bike very much like the A10 I had in the 1960s, except this one has more chrome and is in better nick, as was the owner holding up the tent pole

A10 BSA

And then delight of delights, a racing 30/98 1923 Vauxhall, much like my Grandfather’s was some of the time when he took off the Velox body. 

This one had a problem with wheel spin and drifting the back in almost any gear and was eventually lapped by the race winner, maybe it needed an LSD or more weight on the rear wheels, but it was great to watch the driver wrestling it through Luffield.

Racing 30/98

And then there was the 8litre Chevvy engined McLaren that cleaned up in its race, see the cup.

8litre McLaren

And a shot of some of us waiting to leave our zone to assemble for the parade lap, all tops down, casting an eye on the sky which had stopped raining less than an hour earlier

waiting MX5s

And finally a photo taken by a friend of us near the end of the lap

All good things come to an end

I was impressed by how good the surface is at Silverstone, and thoroughly enjoyed my few minutes on the track.