Simple solution to an annoying problem

I prefer to drive my ND than wash and polish it, but because I drive throughout the year I need to wash the car regularly and thoroughly (body and underneath) to keep road salt at bay as far as possible. That means filling a lot of buckets with water. Because of the location of my outside tap, the easiest way to fill buckets, until now, has been from the end of the hose. Filling then takes a long time and if the hose is left unheld in the bucket it inevitably flies out of the bucket under water pressure and throws water everywhere. So, using bits I had lying around, I knocked up this, which solves my ‘problem’ completely. I have a stop-end at the end of my hose so I can remove the spout without causing a flood; I then just push the stop-end onto my new device and control the flow with the tap. OK, it isn’t rocket science and it would be completely unnecessary for some folk, but if you have a set-up like mine it removes one of the tiresome aspects of car-washing, and is very little effort to build.

3 Likes

Nice work! How do you clean underneath?

By taking the normal spout off my hose and fitting one of these:

Good man using it all year round , after all its just a mazda regular car not a fragile exotic sports car

2 Likes

This wet time of year, I use a watering can filled up from one of my many water butts. Apparently better finish as we are in Essex a high limescale area, and it keeps my butts from overflowing !

Fortunately, here in the NW we have soft water!

Pretty sure something like this could be knocked up for, oh, £20 or so with some pipe, valves, castors and a broom candle

2 Likes