Skuzzle intake opinions

I saw an NC for sale on FB the other day, the owner said it had a Skuzzle thing, a tubular manifold and a remap at Autronix. He claimed 204bhp.
Everyone else claims circa 180 for these mods and they’re possibly a little inflated too. You need cams to get up to the 190 - 200 range.

Last week I did a panel filter test on a dyno. I’d never used these guys before, I just walked in and asked if they would do a few runs and they said yeah, come back in an hour as they were a bit quiet anyhow. You can read about it here: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=790

I get what you are saying and sorry you think that way. I find facts fun! I hate to see people duped into parting with their hard earned.

Blimey, I had forgotten all about this one. :joy:
Not a problem at all and having read what you have done and stated who can argue your point.
Maybe one day I just might put my car on another dyno, just as a comparison to the printout I have.
Thanks again for the great and positive posts. :+1:

Wow! That’s interesting. So a new Mazda OEM “paper” filter probably gives more airflow (hence more power than a new K&N filter and it keeps the engine cleaner too?

No it wasn’t a genuine K&N, whether that would give the same result I don’t know.

Ahh right! I have a K&N fitted to my car. I would hate to think it wasn’t as good as the OEM filter.

If you’re ever near Leeds I’ll take you to an honest one.
Lot of this stuff is psychological, who wants to pay money (for a dyno run) to get kicked in the nuts? I can understand that.

1 Like

Well doing a back to back test for power is easy. Not so a filtration test although you can find them online.

OK. Well, BBR did not make any claims for improving power as a result of fitting a K&N filter even though it is part of their conversion.

You may find this BBR dyno video interesting. 3 runs back to back.

1 Like

That isn’t a BBR test, I think it’s someone taking a dirty old filter out and putting a new K&N in hence the expected slight power increase. If BBR use their own filter and not a K&N then I apologise.
The third test is interesting though. He’s letting extra and unmetered air in and seeing a power increase. He doesn’t say what fuel is in there, but the NC runs a bit rich. What you’re seeing is it’s sucking in air, but not knowing how much (as it’s bypassing the AFM) so it’s going leaner and making more power because of it.
It’s unadviseable and dodgy, but it proves a point.
It’s always said that engines run at their most powerful just before they blow and it’s true!

1 Like

That’s definitely the BBR rolling road as I have been there when I had the BBR Super 220 conversion done to my ND2. BBR do use the K&N filter as when my car was modified they forgot to fit it and sent it in the post for me to fit. I asked them what difference it would make as I was at the time concerned that my car had not achieved the 220 bhp advertised. They told me it would make very little difference but the video suggest a 2 bhp improvement, on the NC, anyway. Were the pipes removed part of the emission control system which is designed to recirculate some of the gases from the crankcase? They looked to have disconnected more pipe connections than required just to stop crankcase fumes being recirculated which I would have thought would only require the last disconnection to the air inlet tract. It would be interesting to know.

Its interesting that the two sources of extra air are both downstream of not only the AFM but the filter as well, which might suggest that both filters or even the intake system as well are restrictive.
As you say, the volume of air, as well as the mixture is being affected.
I can’t help wondering what the result would be if you remove the filter altogether and or leave the box open

You would soon be buying a new MAF sensor?

Really?
Just for a dyno run…

There is very little restriction in the OEM intake system. It will provide enough air to support over 300bhp. The BBR phase 2 turbo retains the standard intake. The air leak introduced after the AFM leans the mixture which increases power but as stated is not a safe condition.

Fair enough.

Ok so it is a BBT test, lol. It’s strange how the poster is different to the other BBR tests, you can see Neil has posted some others on there.
The pipes taken off are EVAP, brake servo and upper engine ventilation (yes, essentially crankcase vent). The only relevance is the engine is now sucking in unmetered (by the MAF) air. The other sensors will be doing their best to measure what is going on - MAP, Lambda and TPS.
The OE inlet is very restrictive, it’s all about low and mid range power which is where we spend most of our time on the road. That’s why they are seeing such easy increases with ITBs.
You can’t bring forced induction into the conversation, that’s like comparing an apple to an orange.

2 Likes

Do all the BBR stages require higher octane fuel (than the 95)? I presume they do, but just wondered.

Good point on FI and the increases for ITBs. By restrictive does that translate to low / mid rpm air flow speed verses outright air flow capacity? They do say their conversions run on 95 but mine was mapped on 99 and Neil suggests that.