Smoke from inlet side of engine

Hi folks,
My NC 2006 2.0L has thrown a spanner in the works.
I had the engine running with the heater fan on to try and dry out the passenger side carpet as the windscreen scuttle panel grommet needs replaced.
Car was running for around 15mins then the car shook momentarily and started making a noise like a rough bearing or similar. I opened the bonnet and everything looked normal and the noise continued. soon after smoke started to appear from the rear right hand side of the engine along with the dreaded burning smell.
I quickly turned off the engine and the smoke drifted away with no obvious signs of any damage.
I’m going to go back to it later when it’s all cooled down and have another look.
Has anyone experienced this with theirs?
I took the key out and put it back in the ignition. Turning the ignition on all lights are normal, turning to the Start position and nothing happens at all, no flashing light code. just dead.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dean.

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2006 2.0l
  2. I’m based near: __Paisley
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Yes those leaking grommets (namely the passenger side one) has most likely let water drip onto the electrics.
Check under the dash (glovebox out) and check the small fuse box at the foot of the passenger side A pillar. Needs all drying out if wet, you may have dodged serious electrical problems but the smoke doesn’t sound good.
Don’t switch on again until the above checked out and those grommets sealed.

Water in the electrics from a leaky scuttle grommet can cause the starter motor to run permanently until it burns out… Sounds like that’s what’s happened.

Roadster Robbie, I’ll go along with that. been back out to it and found water in the interior fuse box. just replaced the grommet and looking for an auto electrician to check it all out.
thanks.