Smokey exhaust

Can anyone give me advice?  My 1998 Mk 2 1800 is currently off the road and garaged.  I start the engine at least once a week, and drive it short distances backwards and forwards to ensure the brakes don’t seize. There is never a problem starting and the engine ticks over nicely.  However there are two things that cause me concern.  (1) The exhaust is very smokey and does not dissipate.  (2) There is a copious amount of rusty red water coming from the exhaust - which was a new system installed this year.  Any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Ali D

funnily enough my one does the same ( 98 also) no coolant is lost no oil lost more white than grey heard it is just lot of condensation in exhaust box? but was concerned but does dissipate if driven for long enough not just round town

If it was ok and driving fine before you garaged it then I say it just needs a good thrash, well lets say a dam good run. These cars aren’t happy sitting idle, like you say the brakes can seize etc. You’re not confusing the smoke with water vapour are you, the rusty water could just be what’s left sitting in the back box or condensating when  warming up. Stainless exhaust or just standard mild steel?

From what I have been told driving one of these cars short distances or running the engine for a few minutes is not good, they need to be driven, so take it out for half an hour and get it really nice and hot.

Hi, I agree with what everyone else has said mine is also of the road for winter a 2006 NC, this has been discussed at length on miata.net. For me I make a point of not starting the engine at all unless it is going to go for a reasonable long drive as the engine and exhaust do need to be up to temperature and hot too burn off condensation in the exhaust system. Mine sat for 4 weeks without starting the engine and when it was started yes there was a slight bit of condensation in the exhaust but very little. I also wouldn’t worry about brakes seizing up either store the car with the handbrake off and wheels chocked is fine and very other week just roll the car a few feet back and forward and a few pumps of the brake pedal. As long as the car is dry it should be ok.
I also have hooked up a solar powered battery keeper I got from mx5parts which works well as there was no drop in voltage after sitting for the 4 weeks.