Snow and stuff

You’d be better putting up a new thread (if allowed) this one’s about snow/tyres etc.

One good thing the car is still alive and road worthy, it’s been recently taxed/MOTed.:+1:

“Hung up on tyres and forget we are driving lightweight RWD cars which rev up to…” :+1:

[We live in similar locale so thank goodness the snow came and went in 24 hours and more importantly the minor roads being ice-rinks]
But Friday at Tesco bumped into a lady as we tried to grab same trolley…quick exchange about getting to Tesco during ‘snow and stuff’
She shocked me by saying that she & hubby drove a Volvo Estate for years and even after leaving heavy bags of dirt in the boot…the back end of their Volvo used to go regardless of who was driving :face_with_spiral_eyes:

gotta be honest ive been really surprised by how well my nc has coped with the recent wether, especially when i see how much other drivers around me have struggled.
ofcourse my driving is part of the equation but when i think back to how my old mantas struggled with snow, i know that the 5 is doing most of the work!

1 Like

TBH Thibor, my NC also seemed to be very capable on snow and ice. I had the car approx. 5 years until p/x’d for the ND at the end of May this year, so the conditions at the weekend was a first for the newer car. I expected the ND to perform in a similar way, but was surprised when I got stuck on a road the NC, in years past, did not have a problem with. So presumably, there is someone out there in an '08 2-litre Sport NC, having a lot of fun in decidedly slippy conditions… :slight_smile:

I’ve got an nb which is my daily car all year round, I’ve two sets of wheels, one with winter tyres, a set of snow socks in the boot. We live at the top of a hill and with winter tyres on I’ve never had to use socks, even went to the Alps in winter in it last year in preference to my wife’s 4wd Audi .
If you look at the tread of and ‘normal’ road tyre nowadays you can see most grooves run around the diameter and usually next to nothing cut radially . It’s obvious these type of tyres will not provide traction on slippery surfaces. All old tyres (apart from racing tyres) up to late about the late 80s had tread patterns similar to what you get on winter tyres now which is why we used to get away with driving on normal tyres in ‘the old days’.
Rubber compound is different as well and car just feels more secure on its winter wheels even on icy roads.
Would definitely recommend 2 sets of wheels but if not practical then I would fit all weather tyres which are a good compromise and you won’t notice noise difference in our cars.

1 Like

I now have a set of winter tyres as I take trips to Europe in my MX5 over winter however before this I did have snowsocks which saved me a couple of times when the conditions stopped me driving up a hill near home. I would recommend them for emergency use but beware - if the snow on the road is thin or icy the socks will wear out.

I run Michlin CrossClimate tyres on my 1.6 NB all year and they are pretty good in snow here in SE Northumberland.
Good fun in a snowwy but deserted car par too!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.