Snow and stuff

Hmm… my old NC was fine in snow, but my new ND less so. First time this morning, son away so I came out to feed his cats… and I am now stuck on his estate, on a ‘gentle’ hill. Wonderful.

1 Like

Does it have traction control? If so, can turn it off? I had a car, not an MX5 that was hopeless on snowy roads unless you tuned the traction control off.

A couple of sacks of spuds, or similar, in the boot may help too.

Hi Ian, yes it does. I will try again a little later on.

Yep my Mercs a mare on snow, weight the boot down as pointed out, traction off and I temporarily drop around 5psi from rear tyres, then it’s fingers crossed

If you think you’ve got problems spare a thought for those who’ve organised a run into the Derbyshire Peak District and wake up to this.

I’d say whoohohooo :joy:

Back home, but it was a close run thing keeping the momentum. When the road levelled out, it was sigh of relief time…

Do members in the UK change to winter tyres or is the above conversation all about driving on summer tyres?

David

‘Gentle Hill/Slight Slope’

Yep…gets my NB 2.5 1.8 Icon every time in my current location …Gentle Hill/Slight Slope …‘T’ Junction and need to turn left…been here since 2014…Not much of a run up…

So…I’ve learnt…My Girl plus Ice/Snow = Don’t Even Try

Keep meaning to ask the Council to give us a ‘Grit Box’…but it’s only a few days a year…so try and Prepare in Advance
Phew…made it to Tesco for provisions and vital Scripts on Friday but had to wait to mid morning and pray that there was a thaw…there was…Patted Bullit on her dash board …‘Good Girl’ as she got around the ‘T’ Junction
Phew again…woke up to unforecasted snow this morning

But I’m provisioned and Bullit safe in dry garage…

Bullit just said 'Mom…don’t ask me to do things I can’t 'and I listen to her as always

1 Like

Depends where in the UK you live but generally speaking changing to winter tyres is a good idea.

Who does this however :sweat_smile:

Yes it’s similar here but buses are running so that’s a sign it’s not too bad out there.
Very muchly MX-5 stays indoors today like it’s owner, let the rest get on with it.
I nipped to Sainsbury’s Friday that was bad enough. 3 mile trip and I had to negotiate 2 accidents spots and it wasn’t even icy. To top it all a car stopped dead in front of me on a dual carriageway because they heard sirens in the distance. I wasn’t best pleased carrying on or just slowing would have sufficed, absolutely no need to just stop on a dual carriageway🥴

Soon after I bought my Niseko I was given a wintery lift in a 3series BMW. We could see a few cars slipping back down the un-gritted snowy hill which had his house at the top.
My driver shrugged, said nothing, but rapidly put some Snowsocks on the back wheels, and we gently eased up the hill, turned into his drive and he took off the socks again.
He made it look easy, but then it was almost routine for him.

Apparently they don’t last anything like as long as chains and gritted roads wreck them, but here they were amazing.

So I bought a set from Az, but never used them on snow. However, for maybe a hundred metres in a couple of muddy Convention fields they proved a godsend, and were much easier to put on than I feared.

Exactly…ditto…waited in queue to pass RTA en route to Tesco on Friday…road wasn’t even icy

Folk just panic

So True :handshake:

Lived in both West [Renault Clio 1.4] and North Yorkshire [Bullit] for many years

When I think back to the journeys I ‘thought I had to make’ during snow and ice e.g. getting to work I now know that I could have lost my life/caused others harm on more than one occasion…especially West Yorkshire and pressure to get into work in them days…I shudder now at the memory of those journeys and shame on my employer at the time to cajole me into doing what I knew was not safe

But hopefully…Employers Enlightened these Days and Modern Tech allows for Working from Home since Pandemic…So…Less Accidents :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

despite telling my boss that driving a modded mx5 in the snow and ice is a really bad idea!
i still had to go out and deliver pizza’s in it!
i was actually really surprised by how the nc2 did.
however it must be pointed out that my 5 is still on brand new (at time of posting) 4 day old rear tyres and 1 month old front tyres!
had i still had the old rear tyres on (basically slicks as the tread was down to about an even 1 mill right across the tyre face) i dont think i would have done quite so well!

I think we all get hung up on tyres and forget that we are driving lightweight, RWD cars which rev up to 7k in the blink of an eye.
I leaned to drive in low revving RWD cars with 45HP and even when I went onto 2-seater sports cars they were also as heavy as my current MX-5 , had a longer stroke engine that revved to no more than 6k and had only 95HP to play with. at 5.4k. 0-60 in around 11 seconds. 165x14 tyres.
Driving home on ice and snow was routine and, usually, uneventful.

Never used winter tyres in the UK living south of Watford Gap, when I was driving ambulances for transplant response there was an instruction from my employers to turn the traction control off and I used my noddle and ran the lower unloaded recommended air pressures. For the few days of adverse conditions down here I have usually been able to avoid driving my NBFL, I have a couple of unopened sacks of peat at hand in the garage if the need arises :wink:

Thanks for the tip might get Madge, NBFL, a set for Christmas :+1:

The MX is safely tucked away at this time of year, but for the daily I’ve used snow socks in the past. They are great for the get-me-out-of-trouble slippery situations, but mine were ruined after two uses (perhaps says more about my driving :grin:)

I switched to having a spare set of wheels with full winters on them, swapping every spring and autumn and never had any problems over the decade and three different cars i kept going with that method.

Being older, lazier and the usual UK climate not being one thing or the other the twice yearly swapping became a pain. On the current daily - long, heavy and RWD - I’ve switched to all season tyres (Michelin CrossClimates). I’ve driven up snowy slopes in the winter here in Scotland and down through England and France in the summer and they’ve been great over the past 20-odd thousand miles.

Not for everyone I agree, but suit my needs perfectly, and no more faff with spare wheels stored in the garage.

A post was split to a new topic: Looking for G370KY