So which is correct the Haynes Manual or Mazda?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC3 20.l Sport Venture__
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Brakes

I changed my disks and pads the other day but the Haynes Manual said to put the low brake pad indicators on the outside pad but when I took the pads out they were on the inside pads.
I thing Haynes are correct.

Straight from the horses mouth - Mazda.

1 Like

Haynes manual can be used as a wheel chock while jacking car up to fix brakes

2 Likes

Or as a jacking pad :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I thought originally but knowing some of the things the manufactures have done may be not.

Not these days they are too thin made of toilet paper.

1 Like

The wear indicators are always on the inner pad from the factory. The inner pad always wears quicker than the outer pad. I don’t fit them to my pads as I think that they tend to make the pads stick in the carriers a bit. I just monitor my brake pad wear visually.

4 Likes

Thanks’ for that just what I was thinking of doing, one of my wear indicators had scored the inside of my disk although there was loads of pad left, I have replaced all disks and pads even though they were ok really.

I have the 1st Edition of the Haynes NC manual, and it is riddled with mistakes and omissions I’ve spotted, and very poor illustrations, so much so I don’t trust it at all in case of other errors I’ve missed, so now it’s just using up half an inch of shelf space. What a pity.

Have a look at the on-line instructions directly derived from the Mazda manuals, eg the Brakes info in this one linked below, even if using soon to be obsolete Shockwave and from US at least the source data is correct in the bits we need.
http://ncmiata-servicemanual.com/ServiceManual/manual/mazda/2008/miata/g5/books/g5w04/g5w04.html

1 Like

Thank you for that, reminds me of an old Haynes Manual :rofl:

manuel-que

2 Likes

Manuel:
“I know nothing, Mr Fawlty”

1 Like

Can someone check the NC Haynes for which GL number oil it suggests for the 5 and 6 speeds? I have a feeling they have it right and that some Mazda owners handbooks actually have it wrong…

5 speed----API GL-4 OR GL-5 SAE 75W-90 gear oil
6 speed----API GL-4 SAE75w-90 gear oil

From the 1990 thru 2014 version.
:heart:

Yes that’s correct, at least from 2005 onwards on the NCs anyhow.
The actual Mazda NC owners handbook states GL 4 or 5 for the 6 speed which is wrong, it has to have 4 in it.

The Haynes manual quoted from does not differentiate between NA,NB or NC, the specifications quoted are for all the cars.

I was wanting what was written in the specific NC Haynes.

Are you sure there is a specific Haynes NC one?
I am only trying to help, I went to the trouble of unearthing my Haynes manual and have tried to be as clear as I can as to what is in there.
Please and thank you are a no cost option.

2 Likes

This may help

3 Likes

Yes that’s the one thanks, this is from the Mazda owners handbook:

So actually Haynes is correct on that one.

1 Like