So, will we be allowed out after 13 May.......?

@Bosley

It doesn’t look like the lockdown has done you any harm. :grinning:

7 Likes

Yeah, my wife doesn’t mind a bit of facial hair :grin:

2 Likes

My wife hasn’t got any.

5 Likes

Very good :grin:

Going on a unrestricted drive (within England) to a place for exercise…let’s not forget about our mental health.
I enjoy going for a drive for that very reason…my mental well-being. I won’t be going near any other human, I will take good and drink if required, I will also take a “facility” to even have wee (must remember not to mix the 2 bottles up). Just a drive - roof down if weather permits - then back home. Also good for the car. PS; I am newly retired, was a key worker.

5 Likes

And why not, my wife and I are both in our 60s and have stuck to the lock down rules from day one, and the decorating is driving me nuts, so we are doing the same, a nice drive to a forest we know which is not too far away and is always quiet at the best of times, a flask and sarnies, some sun and fresh air, and a good blast in the 5, …cant beat it , and no harm done, :grin:

Boz

4 Likes

We did same yesterday. We’ve stuck to lock down strictly and this was first time out in a car beyond the boundaries of the town since early march. We selected a remote bit of coast and walked for an hour starting quite early. Picked a beach location as loads of space and we initially didn’t see a soul. We walked up and back for just over an hour, but by the time we got back to the car the place looked packed with cars. The only civilisation where we went is a handful of what are pretty much all second homes/ holiday cottages and several were occupied. There was also a lady there when we arrived and still wandering about making notes over an hour later and it looked like she was taking car registrations, made me feel guilty even though doing nothing wrong. But we felt much better for the opportunity to get out and see something different, the sea air, and much trudging along a shingle beach, wonderful. And didn’t go anywhere near anyone.

2 Likes

Exactly what is needed.
The sea air is good for the soul! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

Hi
That place looks familiar somehow, is it on the Suffolk Coast? , although i’ll quite understand if you dont want to say where it is :slightly_smiling_face:

Boz

1 Like

I’ve been tempted a few times myself. Living where I do, I’m less than a half gallon from some epic & scenic driving roads like the Duke’s Pass etc into the Trossachs.
It’s an old car the Mk1, and despite most of it’s underpinnings being brand new, and it’s running gear in tip-top nick, it still relies on a loom a quarter century past it’s warranty period.
What-iffery a double puncture? Had that before. A minor accident needing Police & recovery? I’ll admit I’m a bit OTT by trait to Risk Management…probably a career & H&S is to blame.
However, I’ll have to wait until Queen Nippy Sweetie, Queen of Jockhanistan, serves me notice and goes PM-B.J. on us with a dash of haggis 'n neeps-ness.
It’s just not worth it up here. Police can and do check plates to see how far you are from your door, and have been hauling people in. In my personal view, given the UK still witnesses a daily death count equivalent roughly to a large passenger jet hitting the ground every day, I’m less bothered about my personal restrictions than I am about seeing the plague off.
Perhaps having a B-in-L ambulance first respondant, a son training new cops who has to manage revolving door sick rates, and a niece working in a large care home in the Midlands makes me think twice. Suffice to say getting intel-fed the cross infection real deals every other day has an effect on this address.
However, nobody here are pie-scoffing devil may care goppers, so enjoy your forays and I hope soon to be free to do the same. Stay safe, take care, and don’t forget the Piddle Bottle or puncture gunge or your personal hygene kits…because we all need to assume the last person to touch the public bog door on the way out was a dirty s.o.d. But that’s never changed.

4 Likes

I’d love to venture further than our stroll to the canal towpath but it’s getting a bit tense going near the Peak District. Already seen reports of crowding, we would have to pass nearby so considerate it not worth the hassle and we don’t feel the need just yet.
Wheeled the NC out yesterday to use the garage as a wood cutting shop. Then washed my daily driver, glad I did as I noticed some really nasty things happening with the tyres. MOT says advisory for the fronts getting low, I knew that anyway. What is concerning are the cracks appearing around where they seat on the rims on at least three tyres.
I’m not going much further than the tyre place next week, full set required.

1 Like

Maybe next time you are up this way, drop me a note and the coffee on me Mick.

It’s an example of how vague, nonsensical and seemingly arbitrary the lockdown relaxing is.

They’ve said it’s OK to go out further from home for exercise, and at the same time said stay away from all the places you’d want to go.

There are countless examples of this in the guidelines. It’s all justified by requesting that we use the movable feast that is ‘common sense’, whilst simultaneously asking many of us to go against our common sense and ‘step up’ by returning to unsafe workplaces.

I get that the situation is unprecedented, and that anyone in power would struggle to deal with it, but I do wish I could feel that they weren’t just making it all up as they go along without any reference to things they’ve said & done previously, or indeed what they are saying elsewhere in the same speech/paper. Oh for some coherence, and even the vague semblance of a (transparent) plan.

3 Likes

Exactly. That is all…

2 Likes

As always it’ll be a small minority spoiling the whole thing for everybody else, whilst most bods will not venture or drive to far , and try to steer clear of other people, there are those families who will go out en mass to have a good time , and social distancing will go out of the window, the same type of people who have held kareoke pss ups and spat at police etc.
Getting a grip on , and dealing with this b
stard virus has proved very complex , and individual common sense will be all important.

2 Likes

Yes, this. We tried hard to go somewhere with lots of open space, which should be quiet, and we succeeded, and about 20ish minutes drive from home, we took a new car, so absolutely minimum risk to us and NHS. And all well within the current rules which I find all bizarre frankly as we’re no where near out of this yet. And for those trying to work out where we went here’s another shot from yesterday…

1 Like

Thanks for the supportive response. Take care…PS we’re a similar age…60’s. :sunglasses::metal::wink:

Just one last note re reliability of wiring looms, pictures, crashes involving police/ambulance…if we are abiding and walking just locally and/or just to the shop… we trip…break a wrist, ankle, finger or worse still (God forbid, please) get knocked over by a bus…or one of those weirdly silent electric vehicles!!! We end up having to get the police/ ambulance/ paramedic.
I’m not saying ignore the rules…just, that life has a habit of “happening”.
Take care y’all. :sunglasses::metal::wink::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Punctures… not pictures. :wink:

Yeah Ok-dokey. :neutral_face: