Soft top repair

I have recently bought a Gleneagles MX5 and have began the process of restoring her to what she should be. The soft top window and zip are damaged, is there someone that repairs them? Failing that is a new one difficult to fit?

Thanks

Matthew

Looking forward to seeing the reply on this as I am going to need a new one possibly next year. I know a few people have swapped the whole assembly over fairly easily instead of just fitting a new hood. There is a guy in Swords that breaks them and gets the the odd one with a good hood you could give him a shout. He is on here as autocheck or I could pm his number to you. Good luck and welcome to the fun of 5 ownership.

Thanks, I have just got my hands on a second hand hood, couple of small tears in it that I hope to fix with stormsure!

I remember reading about a guy from the Dublin area who done them on an exchange basis. He had them advertised on Done Deal and from what i read, he had an exchange roof available pretty much all of the time. He just used a spare frame to fit the new soft top to and then took the old one off your car.

A long while ago, when I was in Belfast, the local Mazda dealer used to use a car trim place on the Falls Road. The Gleneagles is an old car; its its an original Mazda hood, it won’t be economic repairing a hood, but rather replacing it. And if its an aftermarket roof, it will be nigh on impossible getting a zip repair (you might be able to get a window panel stitched (not welded) it. Or, join the Northern Ireland branch of the MX5 Owners Club, go along to a few meetings, and either you will get more up to date information (I was area coordinator over a decade ago), or, likely as not, a member willing to show you how to fit a new roof (its really not difficult).

Many thanks for all the help. I have temporary fixed the present hood for the summer. Hoping to have some body work done and a re-spray over the winter so might replace the roof then when it will be off anyway.
Love the Gleneagles with the l/tan leather and the walnut, hopefully by next year I will have is close to looking like new!

It might be worth trying Autotrim, Townsend Street Business Park ( between Divis Street and Shankill Road). www.autotrimbelfast.co.uk/
I had the drivers seat on my mk3 repaired here and was really pleased with quality and price. Give the guy a ring.