Soon to be new owner

Hi, 1st time poster here. I currently have a 2016 faceliftAudi S3, whilst on paper it’s a very good car I’ve never really jelled with it so after almost 3 years with the S3 and over 10 years with Audi I have decided a big change was needed. 

Last week I tested a 2.0 litre RF Sport Nav, I absolutely loved it and decided its the car I’ve been looking for. Gloucester Mazda managed to find me a manual RF GT+ which was mid build and I ordered pretty much straight away.

the S3 is being picked up today and it’s now a long wait until 21/09 to pick up the RF.

As a newbie to to the Mx5 is there anything that I should be immediately looking out for, any Little tweaks worth carrying out? Thinking things like swapping the factory serial for the stubby etc. 

Nice choice of ND. Exactly what I’d want…if we did not have 2 X 5’s already.

Good friend of my son’s has an 2016 S3 which in his hands (Police driver) is perhaps the most epic thing on tyres I’ve ever been in outside Knockhill.

A brutal stealth car…but I suspect they guy has had it tweaked.

Puzzled as to why you never really loved it? 

They are silly fast but there isn’t any drama, they are almost too good in a straight line and don’t give you much back in the corners.

i bought it thinking it’s a sports car dressed up as a hatchback but it really isn’t. 

I had a wee sneaking suspicion that would be the issue. Sometimes over/ultra efficiency dials out visceral fun.

Hope you relish your new 5 though.

Looking into rust proofing would definitely be a good thing to do if you plan to keep the car long term.

There are a couple of threads on the forum, one of them is shown below:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst115447_Does-a-brand-new-MX5-need-rust-proofing-in-the-UK.aspx

Thanks, I’d have never considered this for a modern car. Does anyone know of anyone who does this in Gloucestershire area? 

That’s very good advice from Tiki.

I had mine done when new & I’ve never regretted it - usually keep my cars for between 7 & 9  years.  Currently starting to think about swapping & a new 2.0 ND RF is on my shortlist - if I did go for another MX-5, then I’d certainly get it rustproofed ASAP.

Have had quotes of £300 plus VAT for the rust proofing which isn’t too bad but still surprisEd that a modern car would need this applied post build.

Have seen in posts that owners have put official lowering kits on their 5’s, is this worth considering on the GT model? The GT has Bilstein set up as standard. 

had my 2017 RF lowered after a 1500 mile trip in the Scottish highlands…rolled way to much for me different car when it was done looked right and handled as it should…pitty you dint think of it before you could have done a deal on a new car…and if its done before you registered it I belive its not a insurance issue…AS that is how you received it from new…another thought my car had 12000 miles on when brought when I looked under it it was showing sighs of rust that I treated… And that was only were I could see mazda and rust treatment don’t go together

I didn’t realise lowering was an option and the dealer didn’t mention it but that car was already being built for another dealer and Gloucester Mazda managed to take the vehicle as with me they already had a buyer.

Will give it a few months then make a decision. The rust proofing sounds like a no brainier really, I may only keep it 3 years but for the cost it feels the right thing to do.