SORN And Insurance

Hmmm. I hope that was not a euphemism! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I did, the car😬, it works, sounds good.

Even prompted my 80 yr old neighbour to come over for a chat, so the car brought us together he always come over for a chat when I’m doing car stuff.
Back on the trickle charger, my daily driver too, that’s not been further than the chip chop last week.:grin:

1 Like

It’s a second car so I just keep an annual policy on it through the year even though it’s in the garage through the winter. I am a bit ■■■■ about it being a dry car. As it does them no good to just sit there I take it round the block every couple of weeks when the roads are dry enough to keep the gears oiled so having cover on it is necessary plus I could still accidentally damage it when it’s parked.

Hi.
If anyone would like a quotation for laid up insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I personally for how cheap the insurance is just leave it for all year round although she’s tucked up in the garage for the winter months you never know god forbid what could happen . Mines with footman James and fully comp with an agreed valuation and wouldn’t be worth all the aggro if im honest.

1 Like

I SORNed the 5 for a month during lockdown 1 while I changed the cambelt.

My Toyota Granvia has been on SORN since last March but insured. Though there is the vexed question of MoT. It is not on the road and so haven’t get an new MoT yet (expires this week). The place that does it phoned to remind me and muttered about insurance companies not paying out if the vehicle has not got a current MoT - even for a fire or theft where kept overnight off the road claim. Having several motorcycles, some in various stages of restoration or just summer use only and kept tucked away in a garage it’s never worried me before, Then three of them are ‘historic’ (> 40 years old) , so don’t legally require an MoT. Those are on a ‘fleet’ classic policy so no question of stopping it.

I could phone up the broker for the Toyota policy, but they are the sort that charge £30 for anything. Cheap, but then you only really find out how good your insurance is when you have to claim :wink:

I told my broker I wasn’t going to renew my policy as the car was on SORN due to Covid. They told me if I reduced my mileage limit to 500 a year it would reduce the cost from mid £200s to less that £100. I go through Footman James.

This below seems to explain the insurance bit without an MOT…

Can you insure your car without an MOT?

Yes. You can insure a car that doesn’t have an MOT.

And if you’ve already bought insurance, your policy doesn’t necessarily stop being valid once your MOT expires.

Bear with us. This is where things get a little confusing.

Roadworthiness

In the world of car insurance, there’s a concept called “roadworthiness”.

If your car is “roadworthy”, that means it’s fit to drive. And most insurance policies are only valid if the car is roadworthy.

When your car passes its MOT, this means the car is roadworthy at the time it was tested. But that doesn’t mean the car will be roadworthy a month later. And not having an MOT doesn’t necessarily mean the car isn’t roadworthy.

So as long as your car is roadworthy, you’ll be able to insure it. And your insurance will (usually) still be valid if your MOT expires - as long as the car’s fit to drive.

That means, if you were caught driving without an MOT and got a fine because of it, you wouldn’t also get a fine for driving without insurance.

There’s a big caveat to this, though: some insurance policies specifically say your car insurance isn’t valid if you don’t have a valid MOT. So double-check your policy docs to make sure this isn’t the case.

(This is more common with something like temporary car insurance. Most annual car insurance policies won’t be invalid once your MOT runs out.)

Making a claim without an MOT

Because not having a valid MOT doesn’t (usually) mean your insurance is invalid, it shouldn’t stop you being able to make a claim.

But, if your car is stolen or written off, you will usually get a lower payout. Sometimes 10 or 20% lower.

This is because cars automatically drop in value when they don’t have a valid MOT, so your insurance company will knock a certain amount off the value of your car when deciding how much to pay out.

And if your car is stolen without an MOT, you can expect it to take a long time before you get your payout. Your insurance company will probably want to do a pretty detailed investigation.

But, like everything in car insurance, it tends to vary from insurer to insurer. And some of them will specifically say when you buy the policy that you won’t get a payout if you don’t have an MOT.

Check your policy documents to find out if this is the case.

You can drive a car without an MOT if you are driving to a station to have it MOT’d (and it is pre booked)

On Op’s original question I can’t see the point in sorning the car or asking for laid off insurance for me. All of us have different circumstances. My “5” is a “Toy” and a back up car in case the wife’s car was off the road. So needs to be ready to use at a moments notice.

My insurance is about £140 a year, I really don’t know if an insurance company can reduce that any more, and in any case many companies charge an admin fee for a change in circumstances making it more expensive to change than any savings.

The VEL is where some could save as at around £255 a year every full month off the road could be a saving. But, lets face it who manages to sorn a car exactly on the last day of a month, and restart it on the 1st?

At the moment my MX5 is “eye candy” unable to drive without a reasonable excuse to stay within the law, too small to do a weekly shop, and driving with the roof down looks like you are taking the micky.

For every one who has a “wellbeing” issue at this time, maybe going for 20-30 mile ride in your “5” with the roof down, and smiling could be considered an “essential” drive?.

2 Likes

It sort of works for me as insurance runs out 1st Feb and VED I paid monthly, again, due beginning of month :+1:TBH, I am thinking about it as at the moment I’ve only cancelled direct debit and told insurers not to auto renew? Having said that, when will we be back out driving purely for pleasure? :worried:
Barrie

“Having said that, when will we be back out driving purely for pleasure?”

Latest rag/media if you believe Barrie, September.:dizzy_face:

They couldn’t even forecast the heavy snow we had yesterday round here. I had to dig a route out of my drive this morning, if the roads clear up I might go shopping tomorrow.

1 Like

I insure my Mx5 with Hastings, they emailed and said if I am not using the car as much due to Covid to alter my estimated mileage to get a refund. Very nice says me, logs on and change my mileage from 5000 to 1000 as it’s only done 450 since last January so cannot see me doing 1000 by renewal in May as still Sorned. Sure enough I got a refund of £4.61 :rofl:

@ Mrbarry, Misguided cobblers because we learn to live with the vehicles that kill thousands, we still permit alcohol and tobacco which kills thousands and the myriad of other things that account for many deaths each year without any lockdown. Covid has to become something else we live with and take our chances with. Destroying entire industries and the futures of todays youth just to stop the NHS being a bit busy is not the answer. The answer is to cancel the HS2 white elephant and divert the billions into rebuilding the NHS as it used to be so that it can cope. Not continue with a depleted NHS then blame 66 million people for it.

Each to their own opinion then

As the OP, my original question was regarding my campervan. I have SORN’d it as it is going nowhere in the foreseeable future. I asked the question on this Forum as many members SORN their cars in winter and would have experience regarding potential insurance savings. I was looking to their experience and many thanks for your responses.

Regarding my MX5. That will not be SORN’d as it is one of few enjoyable activities that I can experience at the moment, within limits!

2 Likes

@Mrbarry While we have waited for some form of vaccine people have been patient, but people won’t put up with this long term. Never believe an expert who is trying to predict the future, they nearly always get it wrong.

FACT
The only way to know what will happen tomorrow is to wait until it’s yesterday.

Stands the reason this isn’t going away tho.

How do you have 2 sets of NCD
You can only have one your one person .

If you have 2 cars and insure each one with a separate policy you will get the NCD for each policy.
I did that when I insured my car and a motor home.
You can insure as many different cars or motorcycles or whatever with as many different policies, that’s if you can afford it of course.
As a little tip.
Saga (probably others too) will mirror your car NCD for another car. Then next year you will receive your NCD confirmation and can then go elsewhere if you choose too.
All legal and above board. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Exactly that. You get one set of NCD per policy, you cant use it on two cars. You have to build up a second set for a second car. And third, fourth etc. At least that way if you loose one set because of a claim you don’t loose both.

1 Like