Sorry folks, what is FL22?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 2.0
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __FL22

Sorry folks but I need a little clarity in my life. Noticed the coolant a little low so thought I’d nip into Halfords while I’m in Town. Nothing here looks Like FL22.

Anyone offer some clarity about what I should use please, tried the search on my phone and that doesn’t help either.

Having a coffee typing this so could really do with some guidance ASAP.

Thanks.

Sorry misread your post.
Just GOOGLE FL22 and it brings it all up.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Wish it did. Loads about stuff I can’t buy in Halfords or ECP. Nothing to tell me their equivalents. Even their search facilities don’t mention FL22

Just been on the Halfords site and it shows lots of choice for the NC all with OAT in their title. If you do a search using your registration number it should come up trumps. Or ask the staff when you get there.
:heart:

I contacted Comma Oils and was told Xstream G30, if you completely drain the system you shouldn’t have a problem, just needs changing more frequently. Others will curse my comments :rofl:

How much does it need topping up?

I needed mine topping up after changing the expansion tank, about 1/4 pint, I used deionised water ?

If the coolant hasn’t been changed (10 year life I believe) get the whole lot changed.

You can buy fl22 from Mazda (and possibly other Japanese car) dealers.
Or you can buy Ravenol concentrate and mix it yourself with some deionised water.

https://www.ravenol-direct.uk/ravenol-hjc-hybrid-japanese-coolant-concentrate.html
Or find someone on here who has done a fluid change and has some left over

2 Likes

Thanks folks.

None of the stuff in Halfords or ECP claims to be FL22 but they both recommend and sell ‘red’ oat based antifreeze. Bought a litre of concentrate which I’ll mix 60/40 with distilled water. Needs about a pint I’d guess so there’ll be plenty left over. Cost £5.

Shouldn’t be this awkward to buy antifreeze should it. Progress I guess.

I hope you’ll be ok. Mixing different types of antifreeze can be disastrous. It can form a gel/sludge and completely clog the system.
I really would go to a Mazda dealer and get FL22, or I think MX5 Parts sell it. If it’s an emergency top up with distilled water.
Just my thoughts
D

Yep, MX5parts do sell it.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/coolant-premixed-fl22-longlife-ltrs-mk3-35-mk4-p-1594.html

1 Like

Mazda use this for long life but it’s only available in 5 litre bottles. The ND needs 6.2 litres… I’ll need to buy two bottles and keep the unused 4.8 litres for 5 years.

Is Mazda giving it a 5yr life in the ND?

1 Like

Hi D,
It is 125k or 10 years from new and then 62.5k or 5 yearly thereafter.
:heart:

Surely to God a Main Dealer can punt a litre over the Spares Counter?

1 Like

I see, I’d wrongly assumed he was changing it at an initial 5 yrs, it’s quite some going to reach 125k in an ND.
I’ve always wondered why they cut the suggested time and mileage for the second batch by 50%, whether it’s really needed, or just marketing.

One thing I can say about FL22 is that it’s damn good stuff, I will have taken plenty of engines apart which had the original stuff in since 2005 and they are always in mint condition inside, never seen any corrosion yet.
Of course it has two jobs to do, I’ve never heard of a frozen and cracked NC engine either.
I would be in no rush to change it.

2 Likes

I drained and refilled my NB 2.5 with Millers Oils Alpine Antifreeze, which is OAT-type and fairly widely available. Claimed life is 150k miles or 5 years.

It’s all too confusing. I also needed a small quantity to top up my FL22 in my 2009 NC. Halfords outlet said to use OAT per their system but when I phoned their tech team they said not to mix. MX5Parts has 5l premixed but postage is £10

holy thread revival. In the end I just topped up with plain old water (from my dehumidifier so its pure not tap water) not been a problem and not needed topping up since

Is your “local” Mazda dealer not close enough to pop into and buy some?

1 Like

Just as a cautionary note, I did pop into my local friendly Mazda dealer. ( Well they might be if your looking for a new ND, not so sure of their attitude to anything else). Are you sitting down? £61.00 pounds. :scream:£14 something plus delivery from MX5 parts or £23.00 delivered from ebay.
cheers,
Marc