Soul-red touch-up paint

I’ve been waiting on the Soul-red touch-up paint kit for almost a month now after a tiny ding appeared high on the rear wing of the Mazda3 near the filler cap.  Eventually I put in an order to MX5 Parts for this and a couple of other things and they sent me the kit as soon as the stock arrived, while keeping me updated on the stock status in the meantime.  Excellent service.

Interestingly for the Soul Red 41V, both the ‘base coat’ and the ‘clear coat’ have colour!  The ‘clear coat’ is tinted and not full colour.  This is a proper Mazda part, and it includes good instructions on how to use it with relevant timings, ambient temperature range, and a neat little abrasive/polishing pad on the top of the ‘base coat’ pot for flattening it before applying the ‘clear coat’.  It also suggests a shelf life of only 24months.

This is new to me as the equivalent Icy Blue kit for the Niseko uses a totally clear ‘clear coat’, and no polishing pad, and no instructions etc, and no shelf life mentioned.

Useful information .

Also good to know other people have a Soul Red Mazda3 as their OTM (other than MX-5) car. .

I got some of this after I managed to ding the front splitter on my Icon on the stupid kerbstones in my work car park, which are a foot high for some reason. 

I did notice the colour tint to the clear coat after I put the first coat on and thought “Hang on a minute, that’s not the right colour…”. I trusted though and as soon as the clearcoat dried the paintwork looked perfect again. It’s good stuff for the price.

1 Like

I also find the colour match to be very good once the top coat is applied. Although I found the Soul Red touch up was cheaper from my local Mazda Dealership than MX5 Parts.

I ordered it on a Monday and it was ready for collection the following day after lunch time.

When I first found the ding nobody seemed to have any genuine stock, on several tries a couple of weeks apart, and it was easier to put it on backorder with MX5 Parts for not much difference in price.

The chip hole is now almost invisible, even though I know where it is.  The most difficult part was being very careful when pushing out the tiny dent in the metal only just enough to be smooth again.

And now I get to test out the ceramic white version after getting a stone chip in a massively obvious place on the bonnet 

Below are instructions for using the official Mazda 46v soul red touch up paint. Does anyone have experience of using the supplied absorbent pad to remove excess paint (see stage 6/7) ? I’ve always managed to put on too much paint so this looks a good idea…assuming it works.

Would appreciate any tips before I try to cover 3-4 tiny chips I have on my bonnet at the weekend.

I’ve just used the 34k paint (white) with the same instruction leaflet. TBH I didn’t use the soft dabbing pad on the end of the stick, that’s not to say it doesn’t work.:thinking:
Instead of using the supplied brush I used a fine artist brush after dabbing some out of the pen touch-up into an old plastic cap, jam jar lid or similar will do. Its drys quickly so you have to work with speed. About two coats I used then then the clear coat did the job.
As I read it the paint is water soluble, I didn’t know so used around 3-4 artist brushes and threw them in the bin after use, they were cheap enough.

2 Likes

I have used the Soul Red touch up paint from MX-5 Parts. The top coat was slightly pink in colour.

I wrote a post about my experience here:

3 Likes

I got bitten by a company selling 34k (pearlescent white) touch-up paint. It was half the price of the Mazda touch-up paint pack. Absolutely useless match it looked silver when dry.:-1:
Bonus, my daily driver is Reflex silver (SEAT colour) and needed some touch up paint for that, it matches perfectly.:+1:

So buy the official Mazda paint, either dealer or mx5parts supplied.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies … fortunately my chips are absolutely minuscule, so overpainting will be the biggest risk . I’ll use an artist’s brush and pluck up the courage to dab the paint with the supplied ‘blotter’ as per instructions,if I over do it … see picture

1 Like

Tooth pick/ cocktail stick or a self propelling pencil or failing any of these tools a bit it masking tape folded over on its self several times to produce a point rather than a brush if the chips are that small

Far easier not to put too much paint in than remove it latter

2 Likes

At least I have read on this forum that the ND bonnet and wings are both aluminium which make me more relaxed about chips than if steel … :ok_hand:

The base coat is water based, any over paint can be rubbed off with the soft gauze pad. If you mess the base coat up (and I did a few times) the whole repair can be washed off and started again.
You won’t get that option though once the top coat is applied.
The result I got was outstanding and it was a nasty chip I had :+1:

2 Likes

Knowing that the paint can be washed off as you explain, it now makes perfect sense that the instructions say you should use the supplied ‘blotter’ which has been dampened to remove any excess… thanks :pray:

I have the Mazda soul red touch-up paint, followed their recommended method and it works, cleared up car park rash dings on the wheel arch, door skin and wing mirror successfully. From 3 feet away I can’t tell where the marks were.