Sound deadening in boot

Mazda sell the MX as being as lightweight as possible, gram engineering, blah blah, but in reality they’re just saving money on nvh r&d, material and production costs.
As I’ve previously mentioned I didn’t buy it for its refinement, but if the equivalent extra weight of a few extra pies makes a noticeable difference to the general day to day pleasure of use, it’s worth it - to me at least, plus it’ll still be lighter than most other c200hp cars, and still be as engaging as ever.

3 Likes

Also if us drivers eat a few less pies…lol

1 Like

I fully agree with you and understand what you are saying, but I have put on a couple of kilos myself over the last year and whilst the sound deadening is heavy stuff - it probably makes no difference overall (and it will not affect the fit of things in the boot - unlike my extra kilos affecting the fit of my pants!), but may make a difference to the sound quality in the car. I drive it with the hood down whenever it is not raining anyway, so in those circumstances it will make no difference if there is soundproofing in the boot.

However as many NX5 owners will understand, unlike most other cars, we want to personalise our cars. This is probably more about that than anything else. Did the stubby aerial make a difference - a bit, did the Pipercross air filter make a difference - absolutely none, but I feel better for having done it and that is what an MX5 is all about.

I know what you are saying and I know it is light hearted comment, but we all have different ideas, but I like listening to music and if it improves that whilst I am having fun driving, then its ok with me.

Dead easy to fit. Very happy with the results of the roof lining and yes it helps acoustically. The hard plastic OEM roof lining has always bothered me as I came from a soft top MX5 to the PRHT and I still thing MY NC1 soft top was quieter inside with the roof up …

I think the noise you’re hearing is most likely the drain tubes transmitting up into the car. Check your flaps from under the car. Most probably they are jammed open after someone been cleaning them.

1 Like

My drain tubes have a wodge of rolled up aquatic filter material stuffed up their bottoms.
It’s a help but not a cure.
I can’t help wondering if the reduced apparent road noise with roof down has something to do with the folded roof in the well acting as something of a sound barrier.
I don’t expect my MX5 to be a refined limousine but it does annoy me that it is so much noisier with the roof up.

1 Like

No it’s air and tyre noise coming up the tubes. With the roof down the air pressure will force air out of the drain tubes.

The flaps when the work stop the noise. But as with all the MX5s I’ve tinkered with people use the trombone cleaner from the top down and then pull the trombone cleaner back out the same way. This jams the flaps.