South Wales Sunday Run 28th July 2019

South Wales MX5 Owners Club

Newsletter

July 2019

It’s been a little bit of a slow month in June news wise and I haven’t been around a great deal having been away for 3 of the past 4 weeks, so we’ll see what I’ve got once I start writing.

The Barry Festival of Transport on Sunday 9th June went very well. It was our first time as a club to attend and we were made very welcome. We were located on the promenade at Barry Island which gave us the opportunity to show off our cars and MX5 Owners Club. We were 14 cars in total so not a bad showing, we had a couple of showers throughout the day mixed with lots of sunshine, typical Welsh summer. A big thank you to Rachel for organising everything.

We had a great June run organised by Andrew and Julie. The first half of the run and indeed the halfway stop at the Brecon Visitor Centre was in beautiful sunshine; I have to say the jam and cream scones there are very nice. Unfortunately, the weather forecast was out by 2 hours and the rain came in about 1 o’clock. The 30 cars on the run weren’t deterred by the rain and we all made it to the Golden Well on time to be met by another 2 cars, so a very good turnout indeed, followed by an excellent buffet.

Our annual Fish and Chip RUN to Lloyds of Lampeter on Wednesday evening 3rd July is our next run out organised by Gary and Brigitte. The closure date for the run has now passed, however if you are making a late decision to join us on this excellent run you will need to contact Gary on 07828509319 or Brigitte on b.philip1@sky.com asap. We will meet at Swansea West Services jct 47 M4 at 6:00 pm for a 6:30 start.

This month’s run on Sunday 28th July is organised by Bob and Irene, Mob: 07973123030, email: bobwall1@outlook.com We will be meeting in Morrison’s car park, Baglan Industrial Park, Port Talbot SA12 7DA (when entering the car park keep over to the far LEFT HAND corner) Meet 10:00 am for a 10:30 start. The run will take us through the Brecon Beacons with a halfway stop for approximately 45 minutes at Garwnant Visitor’s Centre, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2HU. Parking £1. Our destination for lunch at approximately 2:00 pm will be The Cottage Inn, Pentrefelin, SA19 6SD. Meal choices as follows: Starters; garlic mushrooms, homemade pate, homemade soup of the day. Mains; beef, lamb, turkey. All with choice of veg. Desserts; Choice of the day, all homemade. 2 courses £10.00, 3 courses £12.50. All the above includes free tea/coffee. If you intend joining us on the run please contact Bob by 21st July on Mob: 07973123030, email: bobwall1@outlook.com.

The National Rally on the 14th-15th September is a two-day event this year to celebrate 25 years of the MX-5 Owners Club and 30 years of the MX5. The 15 rooms reserved by Andrew at the Kings Court Hotel, King’s Coughton, Nr Alcester, Warwickshire. B49 5QQ have almost all gone. We have only 1 reserved room left and unable to add any more as the hotel is now full for that weekend. This Hotel is approximately 35 minutes’ drive from Gaydon; however, we did use this hotel for last year’s Rally, and it suited our purposes very well. The cost of the Hotel is £75 per room per night B&B and this is the cost per night whether you book one night or three. Many of us have booked for 3 nights (Friday to Monday) so there’ll be somebody there whatever nights you are staying. When booking contact the King’s Court directly tel: 01789 763111 and importantly give booking reference: KC003799. Can you please inform me or Andrew when you book?

I shall keep our Inter Area Meet with the South West and Western areas on 29th September in the Newsletter as a running item throughout the summer months as a reminder for members. To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the marque of our cars, and the MX-5 Owners Club’s 25th, please join the South West Area’s Club Meet at the fantastic Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, Somerset, BA22 8HT on 29th September 2019. This visit will cost a group entrance fee of £10 per person plus optional £3 per person for a guided tour of museum.  This is a great saving on the walk-in price! Tours will be at 11:30 and 14:00.  Minimum of 15 people required for each tour. There will be a designated parking area for our cars to be together. Please email Rosie Walker to book and Rosie will send you her address or details to make payment to her. Let Rosie know if you would like a place on a guided tour and which time you would prefer (11:30 or 14:00) which will last between 45minutes to an hour.  Please could you also tell Rosie which area you are from when you book? Last date to book by 31 Aug 2019. Contact: Rosie Walker, 07850 475691, rosiewalker123@mail.com 

Car Door Magnets. I have now ordered and received two batches of car door magnets totalling 29 pairs and distributed all except 4 pairs to members. They are very good value for money, and I have a further 6 pairs ready to be ordered. These have turned out to be spectacularly popular and looked very good on the cars at the Spring Rally and at the Barry Festival, so if anybody wishes to order a pair, please let me know as I shall be ordering again soon. 

We are now looking forward to the Gnoll Show on Sunday 11th August at the Gnoll grounds, Neath, SA11 3EF. I have downloaded application forms for the event which will be available to members at meetings and runs. The last couple of years Andrew or I have collated the forms and sent them in together and allocated the entry slips on the morning of the show. If you want me to send you a form electronically then please let me know. There isn’t a limit to the number of cars we can show, and we already have 19 cars attending. Our group application forms have now been submitted to the Event Secretary. If you require a form to join us can you please contact me asap. We will be meeting as a group for an 8:30 am start on the morning of the show at Milland Road car park, Neath, SA11 1NJ and drive in together to our allotted stand.

Andrew and I are once again opening up next year’s calendar for members to choose which month they would like to organise a run. Offering members the chance to decide this early in the year provides greater choice rather than waiting for October/November to come forward and find the month of your choice has already been filled.

Next meetings:

The Grove, Porthcawl: 10th July 2019

The Sporting Chance, Red Roses: 17th July 2019

The Red Lion, Bonvilston: 24th July 2019