Space saver for a NC

Are space savers a practical option for a MX5 or not?
I would like one rather than rely on a can of foam but I am struggling to find a space saver that isn’t more expensive than a full size wheel.
Any thoughts from anyone who’s cracked this niggle?

If you’ve got space in the boot the space saver is a good option.
My own thoughts, I don’t think I’d like that in my boot as it very often gets used when we have trips out. Added downside, think where your punctured wheel will go, maybe in the boot, it’s a tight squeeze but you have to squash the tyre in. A boot rack maybe to carry the full-size wheel would work, added cost.
Get yourself cover with a breakdown service if you’re not already covered, let them deal with it or get you somewhere who can is my answer.

3 Likes

I bought a space saver for my nc2 prht
but as mentioned above is a bit of a squeeze to get it in
but when u do theres not much boot space
for anything else

but can squeeze in packet of murray mints :smiley:

I do Use it on occasion but i have slime in my tyres anyway

Still have breakdown recovery if everything else fails

this is basically the issue… I thought about a smaller spare but the puncture spray and recovery was the only logical option for me.

Much appreciated your comments.

Much food for thought.

I am now thinking instead of trying to cover worst case and prepare for it like a good Boy Scout
I will try to remember breakdown is always an option albeit last resort and just drive without too much fear of the unknown

This is my first time of using the forum and I am very pleased with the chat

2 Likes

About 12 years of driving MX-5’s, the first two did have spares I’ve never had a puncture.
That’s done it now, what’s the chances😩

Just to add, the last time I did have a puncture on the road it was on a Vauxhall Victor 2.3🤔

Hi

I managed to get a second hand 17 inch spare wheel for £70 and have bought some thin rubber matting from Wilkinson’s to support the punctured wheel on the boot lid, held down with four bungees.

Also, have heard on this forum that if the puncture is on the rear wheel, you need to remove the front to replace the punctured wheel on the rear and use the spacesaver on the front only, as the spacesaver could potentially ruin the LSD - although not too sure how true this is.

The 17 inch spacesaver just fits in the boot if you deflate it a little.

Hope this helps

R

It’s been quite a while and please give me a slap if my memory is wrong but wasn’t the Hyundai Coupe spare suitable for the MK3?

1 Like

Thank you Rhino666

Hyundai Coupe space saver has the same PCD match with a Mazda
Not something I had checked previously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ordered one off EBay

Happy New Year :partying_face:

1 Like

Cheers three greens

Sensible idea of maintaining drive wheels on correct width tyres

I’ll try and remember that one the time comes

1 Like

These days, with the amount and speed of modern traffic, changing a wheel (particularly an offside wheel) is a very dangerous thing to do.
There have been many incidents of vehicles colliding with broken down cars or their occupants attempting a repair.
Its the breakdown repair service for me, they have flashing lights and a big old truck to park a little way away to offer some protection.

2 Likes

Very prudent, sometimes the urge to keep moving is a risky one

Appreciate your comments

I do recall that one of the design parameters of the NC1 (which many of you will know had a space saver in the boot) was that the punctured wheel fitted behind the passenger seat, albeit with the seat pushed forward a bit. Could this be the case on the NC ???

Hyundai coupe space saver fits nicely in the boot and there’s still some space for shopping etc
Drives very well on the front.
Good to have the spare at hand if required.

Appreciate your comments and thoughts :+1: