Spacers and lowering springs 25th anniversary edition

Hi guys
I’ve literally picked up my first MX5 on friday,its a 25th anni edition and I’m wondering what’s the advice on spacers and lowering springs? Obviously I know what brands are the best ones to get ect ect but what do you guys recommend for the spacers in terms of size? 10,15 or 20mil? I want the wheels to sit flush with the arches so I’m guessing 15 or 20mil but if anyone can recommend the best size to go with I’d really appreciate it.

Regarding the springs,I’m looking to drop her by about 30mil i’ll go for the eibach kit but whats peoples opinions on ride quality? I currently own a second gen RX8 R3 also which had various mods so modding is not new to me but I’m just looking for opinions on the spacers and springs for my 25th Anni

I’ve got Eibachs on my 2006 NC 2.0, very good ride, not crashy at all.

We had to replace the rears due to a cracked spring (the original springs were at leat 10 years old) but the new springs behave identically to the originals.

Not a bad price either.

Hiya, couple of points here, the spacers at lower thickness, means you will have work to do on the wheel studs. Hubcentric type need to be 25mm minimum to use the existing studs on the hubs. In reality, the studs will sit either flush or very slightly protruding but not an issue as the OEM wheels have a slight recess on the backs which accommodate this. Mine when fitted had only one stud out of twenty, that protruded slightly so should not be an issue. Shim type spacers, probably maximum of 3mm to 5mm unless buying and fitting new, extended studs too.
At 25mm, the OEM wheels sit perfectly in the arches and even lowered, do not affect wheel arches in terms of rubbing etc.
I have Meister coilovers fitted with a bigger drop than 30mm with no ill effect. I did have -30mm Eibach kit on the previous NC and for the money, they do their job fine, never had issues with mine. Interestingly, I had aftermarket wheels on the other car with an offset of -30mm, effectively giving exactly the same track width as OEM wheels with 25mm spacers :+1: Choice is yours!
Barrie

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,is 25 mil not overkill? I have 20mil spacers on my R3 ( Hubcentric ) and they are fine,would 25mil on the 25th Anni not be too much? I was thinking maybe 20mil would be about perfect but if you say 25mil is what’s needed then that’s fair enough.

Also with lowering her 30mil on springs with a 25mil spacer would I get rubbing issues?

Hiya, it’s what I run on my MK3.5 2010 sport Tech. My coilovers are set more than -30mm all round and are fine, zero issues.standard wheel offset is 55mm so effectively you’re going down to 30mm using 25mm spacers?

!

Barrie

Hi Barrie,
Looks good,thanks for the help,much appreciated :wink:

1 Like