Spain

I’ve had this trip planned with the 5’s big brother long before I got the 5. To be honest, I can’t think of anywhere in Europe that could beat this area.  Admittedly I haven’t been to Eastern Europe. I did 171 miles today and apart from 2 towns, there were only 4 other cars going in my direction and apart from some of the main roads in the valleys which had suffered frost damage, the mountain ones were billiard ball smooth.

Tomorrow I hope to check out the Alonso museum as I pass near to Oviedo. Driving day will be 6 hours anyway so a lot to squeeze in.

Enjoy your trip

Looks a great place to tour…however I clicked on your pics for a better view and found myself in Photobucket with its numerous damn pop-ups and irritating ads. Now I remember why I hated it so much!

Drive safe and enjoy your trip…

If it’s on your route, and you like magnificent mountain scenery then the Ordesa/Monte Perdido National Park is a MUST.  Enjoy your trip anyway, that area of Spain is beautiful!

Sounds ace!

Driving in Spain is great but I’ve only ever done it in a hire car with the family. I plan at some point to tour through France in to Spain using as many non motorway roads as is practical, I just need Jill to retire as I don’t want to be tied to 2 weeks, I’d want more like 4-6 weeks: )

I’d be interested to see your full route on completion

Well this is roughly the route.  I say roughly because there were so many waypoints Google had a hard time dealing with them, at least at a 6mgb download speed

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1GuSpUQHQlRT4Ch_N70zAiimFhtw&ll=42.65170391802454%2C-2.0239100000000008&z=7

Today I’ve done 151 miles and scarcely came across any cars going my direction and not many the other way either. Roads were good to excellent except for one terrible stretch of about 4 miles which I hadn’t spotted at the planning stage.

I have to say also that unlike organised tours I do go on some out of the way roads.  Sometimes it even frightens me. No cars. No or few villages. No garages. Only bears in Asturia, Galacia, and Cantabria. Seriously.

It was enroute and is a fantastic spot. The weather was hot and sunny but there were no tourists around so the bars appeared to be closed in Torla.  Thanks for the tip

Fully agree that northern spain is a brilliant place to visit in a 5. October last year crossed the pyrenees (only 6 hours south of home) crossed south of Pamplona to Rioja (wonderful wines,scenery and stunning national park) getting to Lerma. Did 1100 miles top down all the way, empty roads (one segment of 50 miles saw 4 cars and a truck moving). Planning to do it again this year this time with brother in law coming in his 5 as well.