Spark plugs for 1.5 ND

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Spark plugs.

Hi all.
I’m just enquiring which type spark plugs l need for a 2015 ND 1.5.

MX5parts haven’t got any in stock, and some on line car parts suppliers aren’t showing any recommendation replacements at all.
Can get some on ebay etc, but want to make sure l’m ordering the right ones.

Cheers.

They are good for 75000 miles according to the service schedule so you must be putting some miles in.
The Mazda plug is PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110 according to this MX-5_8EV5-EE-15E_Edition1.indb (mazda.media)
:heart:

4 Likes

The mileage is about 34000 but its due its 6 year service which includes plugs.

The service schedule does not appear to give a time period for replacement only a mileage, as shown on page 298 of the previously attached.
Could I ask where you have obtained your service information please as it is not the same as the Mazda information that I have.
They are very expensive so if you can save some money it may be worth checking it out.

2 Likes

Hi.
The mazda dealership told me that info when they rang to try and book us in for the 6 year service.
I questioned their quote of £399 and thats what they told me.
And I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere else online.
Unless l was reading the Israeli service guide.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::thinking::+1:

1 Like

I think that the dealership is operating a ‘profit maximisation’ scheme, it is disappointing but on the other hand not entirely unexpected.
How about an engine flush, fuel conditioning and an aircon bactericidal clean sir!!! It has been reported on here that a pollen filter change was need when there is not even one fitted!!!
Just because a dealer says something is required is no guarantee that Mazda agree.
Have a good weekend and stay safe.

2 Likes

I’m using Denso IXEH22TT which is an upgrade on the Mazda plugs.

1 Like

Hi B,
I am sure it is a very good product but exactly how is it an ‘upgrade’?
No hidden agenda, I just like to add to my knowledge base. They certainly have a price advantage.

Denso IXEH22TT plugs use Iridium fine wire electrodes which requires less voltage to fire and improves performance over the Mazda ones (either Denso or NGK).

£25 on Ebay

Is that not just the Denso number for the same plug rather than an upgrade? Mad_Malc has quoted a the Mazda part number.

I’ve ordered Denso IXEH22TT from Opie oils for £31.68 for 4. Along with other service parts.

No it’s a different plug which uses 2 fine wire electrodes where the Mazda one uses just one.

1 Like

My local dealer tried that one one me when I booked in my NC. I had already read the service schedule in the owners manual so I knew that plug replacement depends on miles only, not on time. That makes sense; the plugs don’t wear out sitting there doing nothing. When I questioned them they just said that they like to replace plugs based on vehicle age.

We have had similar issues with a 2016 VW Polo TSi where VW UK and the UK dealers want to replace the cam belt at 5 years. The information from elsewhere in Europe varies but it’s far, far more than 5 years for low miles. The VW SSP document says it should last the life of the engine. Trouble is they don’t give you a service schedule in the handbook anymore and so far I’ve failed to get one.

Do you get a service schedule with an MX-5 ND?
(Edit - I see that you do - that’s good. Glad to see Mazda are still doing it!)

1 Like

You’re right, spark plugs don’t age without use, but cam belts do. Best of luck with any goodwill if it breaks - and they do…

That’s sometimes true. The snag is that if it’s an interference engine, then cam belt failure can well be the end of the engine’s life… :wink:

JS

4 Likes

We need to know the design life, which I suspect is around 10 years or 100000 miles for this engine. Most engineering failures follow the bath tub curve where faulty components fail early, say after 1-3 years in his case. After that failures are very rare until you get to wearout when failures get much more common. That’s why I want the proper service schedule which will give the design life. I have had a glimpse of part of the schedule from the dealer’s own info. and the replacement time was not five years.
If you get a faulty cambelt then all bets are off and it’s impossible to guess when it will fail!

2 Likes

The camshafts in ND engines are not operated by a cam belt but rather a chain!

1 Like

And the MX5 engines without a chain are non interference

Morning all,

Just reading this thread as I’ve just booked my 2016 2.0 ND in for its 6th service (at 42k miles) and the dealer was adamant that the spark plugs were to be changed at 6 years so it’s a £550 service. I tried saying the service schedule is on mileage not age but they weren’t having it.

Has anyone had any confirmation as to who’s right and if any dealers have opted not to change them?

I’m tempted to not use the dealer, but it’s got a full main dealer history so far…

Thanks for any advice,

David

You could politely show them the page from the Owner’s Manual…

1 Like