Speaker Upgrade NC Non Bose

Hello,

Just fitted a new stereo with these specs -

Max. Output Power4 x 50W

Pre-out 3RCA: Front/Rear/Subwoofer

Pre-out Output Level 2.5V

Volume Offset -Yes
Att.(-20dB) with smooth Volume Return -Yes

I have a 2007 sport which I believe has 4 - 8cm tweeters and 2- 20cm woofers.

I have read to disconnect the tweeters and upgrade the bigger door speakers.

Any advice please.

This was my solution, sound proofed doors also

1 Like

What model JBLs??

GX series, with ford focus mk1 connectors

1 Like

Not done yet but mine will be getting Focal ISU200 2 way speakers over winter.

Keeps the same speaker format that you currently have and are 8"

Are you changing the tweeters as well?

I’ve just realised I’ve got one on the dashboard.

In total 5 tweeters and 2 woofers. I think so anyway if anyone knows if I’m right.

The one on the NC dash is a blank, only Bose equipped cars have a ‘centre’ speaker there.:+1:

I wrote a post on audio upgrades for the NC in a different topic recently, might be relevant:

Personally I have disabled the speakers between the head rests as they completely ruin the stereo image. Stereo image is dependent on a left and right speaker. Pretty much all music is at least stereo. And as a RHD-driver, when sound plays on the right speaker you’ll hear it on the right rear side, the problem is with sound playing on the left side; you’ll still hear it coming from the right, although from the rear.

I’ve been researching on tinternet and tweeter upgrades tend to be a faff that requires modification. But a leftfield solution is to surface mount the four tweeters, Focal sell them in pairs that have different mounting options.

Or disconnect all four stock tweeters and fit a combo woofer/tweeter to replace the woofer in the doors. Fit sound deadening at the same time, should be awesome.

My stereo is 4 X 50w so should be ok for two 100w door speakers.

The Focals are a two way component set just like the set in your current doors.

The 8" woofer is a direct fit in place of the Mazda one.
The separate tweeters will need a small bracket making to put them in the same place as the Mazda ones.

Are they 6x8, straight swap with no mods?

My research is 6x8 standard but others say 6x9

Fitted 3 yr back but I believe there 6x8.
As you can see on pic mounted no problems without adapter plate.

Cheers,

I have bought these - Rockford Fosgate T1682 6"x8" 2-Way

Do you know if these are the correct connectors - (Connects2 CT55 FD01)

Thanks

Just an observation but if your car has BOSE - the doors are already cut out for an 8" round speaker.

No, my car is non-Bose.

I just need to think about sourcing some sound insulation, disconnect stock door tweeters and research what to do with the rear tweeters, as in keep or disconnect.

Not sure mate , I just ordered connectors from a mk1 ford focus .

I’ve installed some JL Audio C5-650 in my doors. I sound deadened them first, added a fitting adapter for the mid bass and then butchered the current tweeter adapter to make the larger one fit. The hardest part was hiding the passive crossover in the door, which is a really tight squeeze. It’s running of the original Alpine head unit, flashed to remove the Mazda software restrictions, into a JL Audio XD 500/3 v2 which run the doors with 100watts into each, and then I have an Audison shallow mount 8 inch sub in a custom box in the passenger footwell. I’ve lost some passenger legroom but it’s still totally useable, and the sound is superb. You can’t overcome road noise at normal levels, but crank it to over 1/3 of volume and it drowns out any external sounds.
Probably overkill for most, but I love my music :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Wow, that sounds like a great system. Top notch components.

If you don’t mind me asking, is it much of a job to disable the rear headrest speakers. Personally they sound so weak to my ear I didn’t even know they were there until I looked.

To gain access you’ll need to remove all the plastics behind your seats.
The original speakers are pretty poor , I fitted larger but needed to make a frame to sit them in.
Space is at a premium back there.
Well worth the efforts tho if your fitting a new head unit.