Speed gun legal?

Nice one Gee! In the villages just outside my town, they hold local carnivals where the residents create straw people and display them in their gardens, by the roadside. Once saw a straw version of a police officer with a radar gun, fooled me for the seconds it took to pass it.
In my area the police have just started deploying officers with the new type of speed gun, they always come in the morning when the road is not that busy, instead of rush hour.

1 Like

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-45667993#:~:text=A%20man%20has%20been%20asked,set%20up%20outside%20his%20home.&text=Highways%20England%2C%20which%20has%20control,to%20drivers%20and%20cause%20crashes.

Interesting that it states that having a “dummy” camera could cause drivers to crash - so why is it any different to a regular camera? If you know there is an area with cameras, you spend less time paying attention to the road and this is in itself dangerous. However I realise that travelling over the posted speed limit is also potentially dangerous. However someone travelling at 50mph in a 40mph speed limit area, but paying full attention to road conditions and other traffic would perhaps be safer than someone doing 40mph but only looking for cameras… Speed alone is not unsafe.

1 Like

Local Authority Jobsworths. They walk amongst us…

Just remember that the guidance says “The volunteers must operate in a location that has been approved by the police. They must also only operate during daylight hours.” So, I would suggest you need to inform the police and get their approval before you start doing speed checks.

1 Like

My wife got involved with someone who was trying to set this up. It was going to be properly organised, police involved etc in meetings. She would effectively be holding a speed gun and monitoring the cars going through.
It all got scrapped for now when you know what hit in March and she doesn’t know if or when it’ll be happening now.
She would have operated in an area other than our own, I’m glad about that as I was worried over reprisals as you know folk don’t like being caught so anything could happen.
Unfortunately we had an accident this year on the very stretch of road which would be monitored, an NHS nurse was killed by a speeding drunk driver, the car hit her car head on. I can still see the temporary barriers around the post that was hit from our bedroom window, really sad.

This below worked very well, I pass through the village on a regular basis and have passed when they were in operation and got friendly waves from them.