Speed limiters, coming along in 2022

So buy a nice quick car in 2021?

1 Like

Oh dear.

1 Like

That’ll boost secondhand values even more.
Will they use GPS to locate the car and apply the appropriate limit???

1 Like

Yes, you will be able to override the limiter but an annoying audible alarm will sound and the details will be logged on the vehicles black box. Such detail will be available to the Police and probably your insurance company.

So in effect YOU will be providing evidence for your own prosecution. Which is currently against Human Rights laws.
Government says not for motorcycles yet!

It will be the death of anything sporty. Not to be retrofitted. So buy that RS4, RS6 or M3 next year.

1 Like

I think this just means that any new car will have to be fitted with the technology.

It is not legislating that it’s use is mandatory.

It is already current technology on many family cars today (for example our Ford Focus has it already) and has to be turned on rather than turned off.

I doubt it will be as sensational / liberty impacting as press reports may make it out to be.

4 Likes

Exactly.

I guess some of us already have them on their cars but never used. This it sounds like it will automatically be enabled when you start up (much like stop/start) and you will just disable it when you set off. More reasons to inflate prices.

My missus always asks me a simple question, she doesn’t drive. Why do they make cars that can achieve speeds of say 130 mph when the UK speed limit is 70mph? I have no logical answer.

2 Likes

My missus always asks me a simple question, she doesn’t drive. Why do they make cars that can achieve speeds of say 130 mph when the UK speed limit is 70mph? I have no logical answer.

Because you might want to take your car abroad where the speed limits may be different?

And because who on Earth would buy a car limited to 71.5MPH? :grin:

1 Like

Because if a car is designed to max out at 70 (or maybe 80 in Europe), the gearing would be such that you would be red lining at the motorway limit.

This would be a noise / vibration / harshness nightmare and be poor mechanically - any classic mini drivers can attest to that!

A theoretical 130mph top speed is the spare capacity an average car needs to allow comfortable cruising at 70

3 Likes

I know that, a non driver doesn’t.:grin:

2 Likes

Was just arming you with the logical answer :slight_smile: it worked on my non driving car disliking mother!

2 Likes

Should have said my missus is the non driver, can’t convince her, won’t be told 70 is the limit, so why do they make em faster…

You know the score SWMBO.:grimacing::dizzy_face:

1 Like

From what I read the days of the unrestricted Autobahn are numbered.

How may times do you end up breaking the limit by a few mph to complete an overtake more safely? Illegal yes, but impossible to predict.

The sociopaths who drive at 35 in NSLs and put their foot down when you overtake will have a great time with this.

I’ll just keep the cars I have, especially the MX-5.

We are the lucky ones who lived in the golden age.

4 Likes

The ND already has a user enabled speed limiter if you wish to use it. However it can be over-ridden by putting your foot flat to the floor if required.

1 Like

Fascinating.
Does this mean a variable device for every speed limit or simply a top speed limit?
Some capacity to exceed the limit has to be built in as a safety measure but what about the associated warnings? Can they also be disabled? Probably not.
Will owners have to manually set the limits when travelling abroad or will that also be automatic?
Several manufacturers already include this technology in their product’s cruise controls. I think some models of both Ford and VW cars adjust their speed at speed limits.
BMW’s have a “Set” button on the steering wheel which applies the relevant limit with a single motion of the thumb. It’s very accurate and includes many temporary speed restrictions too.
Fabulous technology.
I’m very much looking forward to the time when all I’m doing in my main car is monitoring systems whilst the vehicle takes the strain of endless miles of nose to tail driving.

Nobody has mentioned “White Van Man”! Will it work on them?

2 Likes

My “Postie” has a van with a notice that says “this vehicle is limited to 70mph”, or words to that effect.

As @First_rider_off mentioned, this already exists in the ND, the ‘LIM’ function is a mode accessible like cruise control, it just beeps at you a bit then lets you override it.

1 Like