Speed of the forum

Unfortunately we could not make it down to the Spring Rally, stuck at home doing up run dates.

The forum updated almost instantly, all  the forum regulars must have been surgically removed from their keyboards and have driven to Goodwood

Enjoy !

It’s not.

Really having trouble with the forum today, lots of 503’s and veeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow. Is it just me? Perhaps the rain has kept everyone on the computers instead of out in their cars 

Terrible today, a struggle to even get on the forum. Surely someone at OC Towers will report back to the users as to what is going on???

I think I was one of those folk!  You did make me smile!

Barrie

I’m afraid this forum functionality has become a joke. Totally unusable today.

It looks like the forum is in meltdown.  I fully expect our screens to go blank pretty soon.  Then we will just have to invade Facebook with our missives ! 

14 threads I’ve just counted going back 6 months, I stopped there on the second page. They all relate to the forum speed.

Why can’t we have a just one thread with just a simple explanation for the folks that haven’t found out yet the site problems, job done.

And whilst doing so delete everything else to do with the "site problems or “slow forum” that may speed things up a bit.

Totally agree it’s so slow it makes a snail look fast that’s why there are a lot of double postings on the forum surely someone upstairs can sort something out as at the moment it really isn’t worth logging on here 

I can see your point Mick, but there is another train of thought here - that is the more noise we subs-paying members make, and the more threads that crop up on the same subject, it might just spur the powers-that-be at OC Towers into doing something about it ! 

What we are complaining about is that we can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. We could cope with all this sh*t if we could ever see an end to it.

If we could have an official announcement such as ‘we are working on it and aim to have everything working by ****’.

All we have had so far is confirmation that they know it doesn’t work and they are scratching their heads and wondering what to do. There don’t seem to be any real plans to sort things out. Committees can discuss things until they are blue in the face, until a decision is made and a plan put into action nothing will change and that’s what is so frustrating, not the speed and the 404s.

Please, please, please tell us that something is happening.

This has already been said, but in the interest of clarity:

The committee is aware and acknowledges it, and are working on a long term solution.

I am extremely aware and am doing all I can on a short term solution, but we seem to have hit maximum capacity with the resources we have, so every improvement I make lasts as long as it takes people to realise it is faster and for load/traffic to increase more. Not given up - still doing all I can to eek out every bit of life before the long term fix.

There has to be a solution the the “elephant in the room” somehow, sometime soon.

I am a lapsed OC member, although in a few backroom ways still very much involved in the world of 5’s.

I make no apologies for this. It is my freedom of choice to possess.

Now the Sport is done, I’m embarking on a slow and painstaking refurb of my very tired, but recently newly engined 93’ Mk1.

Im as keen on the 5 world as the next man or woman.

Here’s the thing. I’m aware of 4 members who are not renewing due to the forum issues.

They don’t do FB. I’m also aware of a local ( to me) couple who are not joining for the same reasons.

There goes around £200.00 in lost revenue that I alone am aware of. 

It was not the tip of the iceberg that sank the Titanic, but what lay beneath. 

It’s fine for one particular Club officer to witter on at me last year that the “club” is going over 7.5k members. 

The question is, how much OC paying Membership erosion is going to undermine this fantastic increase?

I am not aware clearly of  how many are not intending to renew, are not making recommendations, or have ceased to use the forum…and again FB is not the panacea of communication for the majority plus how many are cancelling their FB accounts as a result of recent global revelations? SWMBO and I have, and we are far from alone…including our Millenial son.

I spent my professional career delivering service excellence with a Fortune organisation, and went onto the recruit & train those behind me to maintain the required standards.

Any organisation needs to deliver “customer delight” via 1st division service…service…and more service. It must never be allowed to degenerate, or people will keep their money and spend it elsewhere. Like a tank of petrol for a kick off. 

Yes, we hear of people saying " I save a fortune from Club membership" Fair play, good on them. Personally, I’ve never lost a cent through mine lapsing. Different strokes, different folks.

In conclusion, if those up in the Captain’s Bridge want to go at  full speed doing pretty much nothing, then it’s only a question of time when they are held accountable. 

I suspect, from the evidence, or lack of evidence, or remedial activity or open pronouncements, that there may be a lot of background meetings about all this.

We know, do we not, the old saying about meetings. They are where someone takes minutes, and everyone else loses hours.

I’m sorry, but I feel quite justified in not paying for a service historically that really did not benefit me in any particular way, but remain delighted in retirement where every cent has to work harder that I don’t.

This does not mean I would not go the extra mile to assist another 5-er, because I do, and I enjoy it. 

I do suspect there is an under-estimation in the upper ranks regarding how potentially damaging this situation may become. 

They may reflect as to why so many alternative forums have sprung up in recent years for a variety of reasons while they are at it.

They wont ofcourse.

Mod?

I’ve kept a copy of this post. Delete if you wish. I’ll just post it elsewhere, so you may shoot yourselves/self in the foot. 

You said as much over a month ago, and now if anything it’s gone even more Pete Tong.

I’m sure as I can be, you are the meat in a sandwich. A surgeon handed blunt scalpels.

I doubt anyone is blaming you as an individual, and I’d be extremely annoyed for you if they did. 

Trouble is, you are trying to roll a ■■■■ of a platform in glitter. 

I wish you luck!

I honestly feel really sorry for you Ramsey. For 41 years I worked for BT. On numerous occasions I turned up at a customer’s premises to fix a fault that had been ongoing for weeks with multiple previous visits. Even though I was thanked for finally clearing the fault I still got it in the neck on arrival.

I’m sure you are doing your very best with the tools at your disposal.

I’m sorry but ‘working on a long term solution’ does not cut it.

That could mean that a new platform is being provided as we speak but equally the solution could still be at the head scratching stage.

I thank you for sticking your head above the parapet and apologise for being one of the stone throwers.

As members it is our club. We pay good money for it. As with anything we buy it should be fit for purpose.

We are all questioning what is happening. Answers are only useful if meaningful.

Although I do not post often I have to say that the forum has become impossible to use.

The time it takes to load, post and move from topic to topic is currently intolerable. 

I am afraid to report that I will be leaving the forum until things improve. I don’t use Facebook so I expect that leaves me out in the cold as far as info on meets etc.

Grant

PS. With areas setting up their own websites and many only updating events via FB the club is fracturing. I don’t feel part of the wider MX5 community.

BTW this edit took 2 x 503 errors and a 404…?

I first tried to post this yesterday evening…ERROR 503…

I had issues with my internet service provider…changed provider …Problems solved.

The MX5 Owners Club Website is a DISGRACE  It is NOT Fit for PURPOSE. Despite frequent complaints NO ONE AT SENIOR LEVEL seems to care. I am a member of a number of free sites, and all far out perform this one.

Is there any mileage in threatening to with-hold a portion of our membership until issues with this site are sorted.

Failing that, how about a campaign of SNAIL MAIL to the committee of this club expressing our disgust at the way we are being treated over this issue!

My letter will be in the mail in the morning.

(note to moderators…As an expression of free speech I feel this topic should be allowed to run it’s course.)

The Committee knows. 

Inundating with an online Outrage Bus full of repetitive invectives will not solve a thing.