Speedo failure 2

1. My model of MX-5 is: __mk3
  2. I’m based near: __Helston
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __speedo

Hi, Car is new to me. Speedo has just stopped working. Where should I start to look for a solution. Recently had OS front off because of poor seating of tyre.
Thanks

Do you mean that just the speedo needle has stopped reading? Are all other elements of the instrument cluster working OK?

Yes , just the speedo.

Rear wheel speed sensor

So it’s electronic? Which side should I look? Anyway to check its function before buying a replacement?
Thanks.

Anymore help anyone?

If you plug in a decent diagnostic machine you will be able to see individual wheel speeds….

My guess would be NSR will be giving a different reading to the rest

For example; does the mileage still increment while driving?
If so it might simply have a loose needle - they are push-fit on a slight taper.

Ok Thanks. A couple of things to check out.
I’ve a Foxwell 530 for Volvo but it does generic as well. Looks like the speedo readings are off the rear wheel NS.
If it’s fallen off its spindle that looks like a whole lot of grief just to get to it to press it back.

Ok. Checked on my OBD scanner and it is showing vehicle Kph when moving. So assume it’s the actual speedo needle has come loose or are there any other possibilities? Done a search but can’t find any on here to suggest how I get to the needle.
Further help needed: Thanks

Is it showing vehicle speed on all 4 wheels?

^^^^^^ Just showing vehicle speed but that must mean the sensor is working, wherever it is.

The instrument cluster is pretty easy to remove. The top half of the column cover just unclips as does the instrument cluster cover. The instrument cluster itself is held in with 3 cross head screws, 1 top centre and 2 pointing up from underneath at either side, remove those (you may have to remove the lower steering column cover to gain access which is held on by 3 screws), pull the cluster forwards a bit to gain access to the back and unplug the 2 electrical connections and the wiring harness clip (rotating it 90* anticlockwise if viewed from the back off the cluster should allow it to come out). There are 4 cross head screws in the back of the cluster that allow it to be taken apart.

If this is unsuccessful, I reckon it’ll be a failed instrument cluster. The speedometer is operated by a microprocessor within the instrument cluster based on the speed signal from the PCM which is sent via CAN. It could either be a faulty speedometer, faulty microprocessor or faulty circuitry within the instrument cluster. The tacho uses the same circuitry so if that works then the PCM is sending signals and the instrument cluster is receiving them. I suppose there is a slim chance that the PCM is not sending the vehicle speed signal but if the odometer is counting up then it must be. I assume that it is, you haven’t confirmed.

You can carry out an “Input/Output” check on the instrument cluster which forces the speedometer to operate, the procedure is below.

1. Ignition off
  2. Press and hold the TRIP button
  3. Switch ignition on
  4. Continue to hold TRIP button until “tESt” is displayed on the LCD
  5. Release TRIP button as soon as “tESt” is displayed
  6. LCD should display “01”
  7. Press TRIP switch until “12” is displayed in the LCD
  8. Speedometer needle should move to full scale then return to 60 mph reading
  9. If speedometer needle does not move the instrument cluster has a fault

If you want to check that the procedure has worked, go to mode “13” and observe the tacho, that should move full scale then rest at 3,000 rpm.

To end the procedure turn the igntion off.

2 Likes

Thanks Robbie! That give me something to get to grips with.

If you get to grips with that I’d also be interested to know what the LCD displays on mode “59”. Just to confirm, your MKIII is an early one isn’t it? 6th from last digit of the VIN is a “1”.

Robbie: will do ( does that mean clicking the trip button another 40+ times)
Can’t get to my logbook ATM but it’s an ‘06 reg.

No, not each number mode is used, it’ll skip numbers, there is only 17 check modes in total. '06 plate is an early one then.

Got it. I forgot to check if the mileage had moved, which would also suggest a solution if it had or hadn’t.
I’ll give it another spin and try your electronic checks before getting the screwdriver out.

The best outcome has occurred. After doing the procedure suggested by Robbie to force the needle swing( it worked) the speedo is now functioning on -the- road.
Be interested to see if this re-occurs, but ok for the moment. Thanks for your help.

Mode 59 shows three noughts (000)

1 Like

I wonder if it was just mechanically stuck and the self test freed it off.