Spelling help

Could be, I only picked up on Windows 11 today when my daughter pointed out that the processors our 4 year-old computers, which were near the top of the pile then will not be man enough (person enough just doesn’t cut it! :grinning:) to run Windows 11. Happily Windows 10 will be supported until 25 Oct 2025.

If you need to ask the question, I would strongly advise you to get a friend / family member to do it with / for you. You will need to purchase and install the new Windows operating system … I suggest W10 unless you have the necessary processor to run 11. You will also need to backup all your existing files / data. A professional should have the necessary tools to do this easily and quickly. Doing it all manually is possible but you really need to know what you’re doing. Good luck.

I gave up on Windows years ago, when I discovered Linux, does the same job for free. Unfortunately you do need to know a bit about what goes on inside your computer or have someone who can install it for you and guide you through learning the differences.

1 Like

Turn off all the unwanted, obstructive, whizzy bloatware lumped in with it and it will fly just as well as on previous less clogged versions.

Have a look with Task Manager (right-click on the Task Bar to find the menu with it) to find what is actually running on a PC, rank the applications in % of cpu time. Then stop or uninstall all those you don’t want or will never use. Both our machines (i5 cpu) run at about 1% total for a lot of the time, thus very little background rubbish going on.

One reason I keep this W7P machine going is because some key peripheral drivers running on it are not supported on my W10P machine, and the replacement equivalents are significantly lower quality in the results (speed, ergonomics, usefulness, economy, printing, images, audio etc).

I can only see this kind of lock-out problem with W10 getting worse with W11 where they will try harder to force us to subscribe to (ie rent) software every year instead of us owning it with a one-off payment.

If @Pollyanna were to make the switch, I doubt there’d be the usual technical problems on a computer that’s running Windows 7, it’d likely just work out of the box thanks to its’ age and the only real problem would be the usual files backup, internet favourites backup etc. to an external drive as a safety precaution.
(Typed from Debian :wink: ).

I’ve noticed it tends to be that 32bit drivers work fine however much you update the OS, it’s the 64bit ones that have issues. That said, no more 32bit for W11.

If the cpu isn’t supported, then even if the OS were installed and flew post-bloat removal, MS have said they will disable updates for people running on unsupported computers. My cpu from 2012/13 isn’t supported at all, it’s the only part of my system that fails the W11 specs (bar requiring the plugin security chip). Doesn’t really affect me as I only have W10 installed for games, and SteamOS 3 is on the way so who needs W11 anyway :slight_smile:

@Pollyanna - If, as I suspect from your previous computer related posts, you only use your computer for basic tasks such as word processing, web browsing/emails and personal files such as family photos etc. then I seriously doubt upgrading your computer to a newer Windows based OS is going to give you anything but headaches.

I’d say with a Windows 7 based computer you can rule out Windows 11, and even Windows 10 would set you back £120, plus you’d likely need to purchase additional RAM which would add yet more expense. At this point you’d have likely reached the point where that same money could buy you a new tablet or laptop running Windows 10 (and 11s release will see prices likely drop a bit), or a second hand, though more modern PC for a fraction of that from eBay, Gumtree etc.

Linux would be fine for you in terms of getting more oomph out of your computer, modern security and it will likely come with Libre-Office preinstalled to give you your Open Office experience, and while it would be do-able by you without spending any (or at least at worst minimal) money - it’s a case of whether you want to go through all the hassle or not.

Though, the original matter in hand was your spell checker - is that now working for you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with everything you said.

Myself, I’ll not be going to W11 if I need a new PC, it will be a flavour of Linux, but I’ll wait until the need arises before deciding which.

The old phrase “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” springs to mind…

Hi Skadgear, I am using F7 like was suggested for the moment. What I would really like is to get a system like this on here so a misspelled word is underlined in red and a pop up gives you the correct spelling.

Had you tried my original suggestions:

Another alternative which should work would be to download and install the latest version (or libre office), then the above information would definitely be correct.