Spring Rally 2009

It will be in the next one too along with a flyer with booking forms for the Track Day on Elvington Airfield and Rally Dinner at the Ramada Wetherby Hotel being held on Saturday 16 May 2009.  The main event remains the combination of the Yorkshire Air Museum and Track Events on the Airfield on Sunday 17 May 2009 at just £4 per MX-5 (1 or 2 occupants is the same price).  Track events on Sunday will be “Pay as you go”

pay as you go for sunday…

hum i think i will try and join the fun! i have been trying to get my bmw to one of these events for a while but failing.
be a good little test track for the mx5 before the ring july.

not sure it will in anyway prep you for the ring but it will be just as challenging and fun

I’m confused [*-)], easily done I know, but can anyone tell me, officially, if there is going to be a Best Kept 5 competion at the Spring Rally. There appears to be a couple of mentions on this post about a BK5 comp but in STHT it only talks about Hot and Cool competions. I have entered BK5 comps before and would like to do so again. My car is not really suited to Hot or Cool - its just well kept [:)] Can anybody clarify the situation for me ?

Regards,

Mr Merlot

I am sorry to report that my instructions where to have just the Hot & Cool categories across all marks but I will confirm this 100% with the Peter Jakeways, the National Events blokey and get back to you… 

Update as promised:  Trophy wise, it will remain two comps for Hot & Cool 5’s but as Meguiar’s UK Ltd have asked to sponsor a competition we will now also run a Best Kept 5 for a Meguiar’s bag of goodies… I hope this compromise suits

Any news on when and where the “drives” will be published on the forum so we can download them and have a look?

Also…

Are we to to assume the best kept competition will be a single prize for Mk1 - Mk2/2.5 - and Mk3?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

there is a dedicated rally website, just wating for a final update and will add links to it here, I reckon its go the runs on it…  Mr G ?

The last run recce is this Sunday, once all amendments have been done the runs will be published on the Spring Rally miniwebsite.  The miniwebsite should appear very soon… honest!

Never assume anything [:)]      but you are correct…  

All Spring Rally Car Competitions are combined Mk1 through to Mk3… there are no prizes for individual Mk’s.

The number of prizes awarded by Meguiars is to be negotiated but we will be pushing for 1st to 3rd

Hi Mick<o:p></o:p>

Just one more question, promise!<o:p></o:p>

Can somebody explain why Cool and Hot categories have been chosen to be official trophy classes and not Best-Kept? My observations of the competitions over the last few years would suggest these two are the less popular disciplines?<o:p></o:p>

I have certainly seen more trophies go un-awarded or cars blatantly entered because of a guaranteed trophy in these classes, in comparison to the Best-Kept category?<o:p></o:p>

I realise it may not have been your decision, and I announced last year that I would no longer enter competitions so this is not personally motivated, but a lot of regular Best-Kept car owners are going to be disappointed.<o:p></o:p>

Just wondered if you or whoever could shed some light?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in anticipation<o:p></o:p>

Looking forward to the rally<o:p></o:p>

Jamie<o:p></o:p>

Again, not personally motivated or having a go at any body [:)] I really appreciate the time and effort the organisers put into these events - I imagine it is not easy (round of applause and a few beers me thinks). There was definatly a trophy for Best Kept Mk1 at last years Spring Rally at Haynes and I think there may have also been one the year before at the Spring Rally at Beamish (not as sure about that one though). Just wondering why this year is a little different ? [:)]

Probably because you keep winning it.[;)]

Definition is the answer for best kept.

is a car like your un touched original car better kept than…

Pollyanas car which has had a world of care lavished on it…but is marked down because parts are non orriginal and its been resprayed.

Concourse or best kept…who decides

Good on you if your car is a fine example…but is it fair to be judged along side others that are used often and all weathers( ive read that the Merlot dosn’t go out if it raining)

Thats what make BEST KEPT a very hard comp to judge.

Cool cars are also down to the judges personal taste Wide body kits, lambo doors  and big stereos can be cool

but ive also heard many say “it dosnt look like a 5 anymore!”

Hot cars can be judged purley on the sum of their parts

A turbo or supercharged car SHOULD always beat a normal car in this comp…but sometimes the fun and cost factor should be involved.

I put 2 cars into the Cool + Hot categories purely because I like to show that ££££ isnt the answer to all things.

Ive seen plenty of Fantastic cars out in the Crowds…that could easily fit into one of the comps.

Alan

Well that’s news to me, haven’t heard that before. I’ve only entered it once at the National at ???, Can’t remember. It was the National rally in September of 2007, I think. 

When I saw that other entrants were polishing under the wheel arches and under the floor pan plus the  tyres, I new I didn’t have a cat in hells chance.  At the end of the day the gentleman who judged my group came and spoke to me after wards and said he couldn’t fault the engine bay. I did lose a point or two as I had resprayed it, but competing against what I was told are Garage Queens there isn’t much point, that’s why I haven’t bothered to enter since. 

Hi halli, are you coming down on your own just for the Sunday?

I’m afraid not… Gerry N said that’s what we had to do so that’s what we planned on.   Pete J didn’t question my trophy request nor did the whole of the CMT or any of the attending Area Coordinators at the AGM’s Spring Rally 2009 Briefing. (that’s me ■■■■ covered)

If the Club are happy to stump up another few quid for 3 engraved trophies for the Best Kept that’s fine but we don’t really need anything else to sort out so it will be down to you guys to canvas the CMT and we will then act on instructions from Peter J.

Cop Out… no, just very busy hence late response

BTW… rumour has it that past winners will no longer be able to enter so as to give others a chance.  Then every now and then, like at the 15/20 Rally, there will be a best of the past winners comp.

So it’s over to you guys… just let me know how you get on

Thanks for the reply Mick

Jamie

No worries… I will stop being lazy and ask PJ if he can do the 3 trophies… what’s a few more quid to my overspend!!!  Still it will all be worth it if we enjoy ourselves