Standard steering wheel swap on NC

1. My model of MX-5 is: nc
  2. I’m based near: cannock
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: steering wheel

Having just got an NC to replace my NB, i notice the stock steering wheel is a bit naff and plasticy compared to the NB. I see you can get leather ones which also have the control buttons. So is it a straight swap with the air bag and centre being the same and is there a loom already in situ for the controls just not plugged in. Or am i being over simplistic?
Thanks fo any thoughts

You appear to have the urethane/plastic steering wheel. You can swap for the leather with radio controls but you will need the airbag compatible with the leather one. The airbag you have for the plastic wheel is NOT suitable/ compatible. Otherwise it’s a doddle as all the control wiring for the radio is there. Be careful and disconnect battery before attempting the removal of airbag (I give at least an hour for discharge).

1 Like

Ah right thank you. The current wheel has a nasty cheap feel.

RX8 wheel fits, but you need to transfer the airbag

Hi there, these people may help with hat your looking for. They also offer a postal service, so you can fit the wheel yourself

2 Likes

Thank you. I suppose i need to decide if I just buy s leather steering wheel with the control buttons too.

+1 for Royal steering wheels - had mine done by them a couple of years ago and still good as day 1.

Is the airbag not coded to the ecu? If so I’m not sure if its a straight swap

I’m unsure if the wiring for the audio controls would be there. If it’s like the front fog light connections and other connections seen on the car there’s a good chance they will be there, just tucked away. When they build these cars I bet just one loom is used for all, for that model.

So you need to find out, pop the centre out of your existing wheel, of course as explained above that involves removing the airbag unit, battery disconnect first.
In turn you need to make sure your radio unit isn’t coded as that’ll need a code on reconnection.
With me so far, well it’s easy enough to check but a pain if you then upset the radio side of things.

Anyways, as mentioned above you can get another wheel (eBay most likely) or have look for another style of wheel.
I have the RX-8 style wheel that fits the NC, looks the same as below.

Fitted a Royal steering wheel re-trimmed wheel yesterday

1 Like

That wheel does look smart in all black.

Maybe just paint the silver parts of the wheel?

For me that part looks cheap, it’s like they were trying the emulate aluminium. Doesn’t quite work.

Yes be different, brighten up the wheel.

1 Like