Starting advice

I have 2007 icon has not been started for over a year, best advice on getting it going
please

I don’t anticipate a great problem, as quite a few cars never get started for ages and then off they go.
Just make sure the engine oil is topped up to the appropriate level mark before any starting up.
IF the oil does not look good, I would change it first along with the filter.
The fuel should not be an issue.
Just check the coolant too.
You can always disconnect the ignition system and then cold crank it a couple of times first before it fires up.
Once it starts do NOT rev it hard for a few minutes until it’s all warmed up.
Just need to make sure the oil gets distributed to all the parts that it is supposed to lubricate.
Once you have checked it is all running okay, change the oil and oil filter, (If not done before).
Also have a GOOD look at the tyres before driving including pressures etc.
Good to go. :+1:

2 Likes

Check the oil, coolant, check/charge the battery, make sure there’s no vermin damage under bonnet (it has been known) or water ingress inside. Turn the key good to go.
One thing before driving it, check the brakes, they could be seized or at least have sticky calipers oh and of course check tyres :+1:

1 Like

you don’t have to disconnect anything to get it to crank without starting. Simply floor the throttle while you turn the key. No fuel will be introduced so the engine can get some oil around it before it starts. Give it 5 or so seconds on the starter with your foot planted. Release the key and then start it normally. This is usually used to clear a flooded engine.

2 Likes

That’s a top tip, right there.

Well, difference of opinions as usual. Easy options may not be the best. A matter for your good self.
Feel free to take what ever advice you think is appropriate. Just remember it’s your car, your engine, your money, your time. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
PS I guess you probably already had a thought of just turn the key and see what happens and then thought hang on a minute…:thinking: I’ll ask others opinions first.

By doing this you’re pumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust and potentially the catalyst which could damage it. I would rather isolate the fuel if I wanted to “cold crank it”.

4 Likes

Yes, Robbie you are indeed correct it “could” and thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes, unburnt fuel can cause “excessive heat” and thus damage the precious metals coating the converter.
But as it would not be running and literally cranked for a very short while…
Just trying to establish the engine would turn over before firing up, (if required in the posters scenario).
Perhaps another topic for another day. :+1:

To be honest we do not have the full information of how long over the year it’s been standing. Whether inside or out etc etc.

It has always been my understating that pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor and turning the key on a fuel injected car engine will cause the ecu to “Limit” the fuel supply and not completely cut it off, (on most cars). As the ecu thinks the engine is flooded, (as pointed out) but would probably start.

As I said at the beginning, I do not anticipate a great problem.
Merely trying to put the originators mind at ease without too many complications or scenarios. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The mk3 does not start when you floor it. I turned mine over for 5 to 10 seconds after a lay up 2 weeks ago.

Hi,
I am just sitting down having a cup of tea and eating a large portion of “HUMBLE PIE”. :wink:
Funny old world from what you are taught and learnt over the years.
I took the wraps off mine today and exactly as you say.
Then I thought I wonder if it’s just The MX. :thinking:
So tried my wife’s Mazda 2 and exactly the same!
So thankfully we never stop learning about vehicles.
Bet their are quite a few people, (certainly 2 on this post) that didn’t know that good little tip :+1:

3 Likes

You were right to be sceptical. The amount of rubbish people spout on the internet it’s hard to know the good from the bad. The good thing about this place is that if you spout some nonsense someone will put you right pretty quickly.

Hope you had custard with your pie :laughing:

3 Likes

Makes the pie go down easier! :joy: :+1:

2 Likes