Steering issues?, Rack or top mounts?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 2006 NCS Sport
  2. I’m based near: __ Burton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Steering issues.

Hi everyone
I’m having an issue with my NC lately the steering feels heavier and when turning the wheel/steering they don’t move back to the central position, I have to physically turn it back to center.

I had two new front tyres in August last year with an alignment check so I’m ruling and alignment issue out , I thought it might be the steering rack ?
I dropped it off at my local garage for a look and he went underneath and checked bushes with a pry bar and turned the wheels a few times and told me he can’t see anything wrong .

So my concern is it’s a failed steering rack ? Or could the top mounts be seized up ?
Any suggestions or experiences with this issue anyone?

Thanks

First job is to get both front wheels off the ground at the same time and turn the steering from lock to lock to see if there is any ‘drag’. Do not start the car so the power steering is not working.

Next is to check that the power steering is working and the fluid level is good.

I know you have discounted ‘geometry’ but that would be next.
:heart:

I drove an NC with similar symptoms, steering wouldn’t re centre itself and pulling to the left. Diagnosis was a sticky front caliper and in need of alignment, all sorted.
Get a proper alignment done from a garage who can sort the MX-5’s.

Will try the car with the wheels off the ground next as you suggested. I’ve got some discs and pads on the way , so will spend sometime myself having a good investigation.

I’ve also checked the power steering fluid as that was my first thought when the issue suddenly appeared.

I agree here - mine kept pulling slightly and had an occasional shake ( like an out of balance wheel )
Alignment was good.

Turned out to be a sticky left front caliper ( the right caliper wasn’t much better )

Rebuilt the calipers and all was sorted.

Video on rebuilding calipers. You probably only need to do the pins, its pretty straight forward.

Thanks will check it all out this weekend hopefully. :crossed_fingers:

I’ve done sliders and a brake piston before on my Bmw when that seized but I never noticed any steering issues on that car just the heat and burning smell after a trip out.

Thanks for the suggestions

Regardless of the culprit a power steering fluid change won’t hurt if its never been done. Its a job that always gets neglected. Shine a light through the side of the reservoir to gauge the colour of the fluid (it’s the only real way to tell). Suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and fill with new. Start the car and go lock to lock a few times to circulate the fluid through the system, turn off the car. Repeat the process as many times as necessary until the reservoir is filled with nice clean fluid. :+1:

Update .

Still having the same issue. But I have since changed discs and pads front and Rear . Changed the Tie rod ends and did the drop links and Arb bushes front and back .
Last Friday I went for two back tyres and had an alignment check all in the green for everything so that’s definitely ruled out alignment.

Got an MOT booked next Sunday will ask him to double check everything because for the last couple of days commute the car feels unstable at speed / moving left to right slightly very its unsettling, Checked tire pressure an nuts this evening all good.

Will also see about a power steering flush as you suggested. I haven’t done it in my 2 years ownership