Steering rack gaitor rubber failed?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2.0 sport mk3
  2. I’m based near: __Leatherhead
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __clue is in the thread title

Just had a nosey under the front of the car, which is sitting on full lock to the right. I noticed the front right steering rack gator is only connected on the outer end. The other has pulled away from the rack.

I have not had a look properly yet, but I am hoping that the rubber has just pulled off, maybe softened with the hot weather and sitting under tension on full look. The rubber doesn’t look worn or split, but does feel hard.

The replacement gaiter from MX5PARTS is £77!

Has this happened to anyone else? Do they tend to fail eventually at the inner end? Reckon I can pull it back on and cable tie it tight?

Thanks

I got a replacement set of 2 from EuroCarparts for my Mk1 for £23.00 last week.
Can’t assist further though.

Thanks for that. ECP don’t seem to list for the NC, or at least their crappy site navigation takes longer than my patience allows.

Found other pattern parts elsewhere more reasonably priced, so I am not still spitting feathers.

If it has just slipped off clean the mating surfaces with brake cleaner, slip it back on and put a cable tie around it. If it works you have saved yourself the ECP Alice in wonderland adventure.

Thanks, that is what it looks like. Will get it jacked up and wheel off and sort tomorrow.