Steering Wheel - ND

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl:
Tempted to buy a 30th orange. Will have telescopic then anyway.

Do you not find it a bit faffy with a spacer? I couldn’t get used to how far away the indicator stalk was.

Ordered a Corsa 330 from GuardianDesigns today.

1 Like

I very quickly learned to reach a little further to operate the indicators - but the ability to have the seat base where my legs want it, the seat back where my back wants it and then still be able to adjust the wheel to where my hands want it is more than worth the trade.

Some journeys I might not need the indicators for an hour - but I’m holding the wheel all the time

2 Likes

Yes fair comment. Ideally want to do telescopic rack at some point all the same.

I bought the Royal - excellent service from them , and the wheel is night and day better than the original .

This is the one
mx5 wheel

3 Likes

Steering wheel looks great John. I am looking to use Royal for my ND wheel. Can you give me a ball park figure for the cost of your wheel, appreciate it’s very dependent on what you go for.

Thanks,

Simon.

1 Like

It was about £250 and fitted while I waited . It was a long round trip - 400 miles - for a just a new wheel but it transformed my enjoyment of the car. NB - you don’t get to keep the old wheel , as in effect it’s p/x ed , but the hub and all wheel mounted controls remain in situ ,and the new wheel is mounted to the old hub

2 Likes

I am going to roll Fathers Day, my birthday and Christmas into one big present this year and buy myself a new Royal sterring wheel for my ND. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I have had a quote from Jack and asked for it to be slightly thicker have thumb grips added and a flat bottom, perforated leather on sides, smooth leather top/bottom, with silver stitching.

The picture I used is this one. (With out the noon marker and with silver stitching)

I am going to go for the exchange option, whereby I am sent the new wheel, I swap it with my original wheel and then send the original back to Jack.

The youtube videos show the removal process being relatively straight forward. I will let you know how i get on with that one.

Has anyone struggled getting the orignal sterring wheel off the car? :thinking:

Also, are all those with a Royal sterring wheel now still please with it, all good reviews read so far. :+1:

1 Like

No problems at all changing mine. Pushing the pins in to remove the air bag are a bit fiddly. I found it easiest to pop the bottom one first, then the other 2. I’d never removed an air bag before so was caking it. Nothing to worry about though in the end. There are a few videos on you tube which are worth watching.
I’m pleased with my end result. I went for the Real from Rev9.

1 Like

I had to get a wheel puller to remove mine, I seem to be in the minority with that for some reason though, and it wasn’t like I wasn’t trying hard enough (the car was rocking back and forth) but it wasn’t coming off without the puller. The airbag removal is tricky and can take some time to get the method of removal right.

Here is mine fitted at Royal this week.
Very good comms and service - very pleased with it and transforms the drive.
Highly recommended

4 Likes

David, that looks fantastic, did you ask for the flat bottom too.

Yes I did but I think it is part of what they call a “full conversion”.
I then added the Red noon marker to the order which was £25 extra.
I drove down to Aylesbury and had it fitted inside an hour.

I have the identical one . Within 15 seconds of setting off home from Royal I knew I’d done the right thing . God only knows why the original is like it is - thin rimmed , slippery , and thoroughly nasty to use .

Fiat abarth one is a straight swap and chunkier. saves sending yours off for a refurb.

Completely agree!

Off to see Jack in a few weeks. Was going to do the exchange option, but decided to do a road trip and get it fitted. I decided to go for a round, full black Alcantara, black stitching, slightly thicker, thumb grips and a grey noon stripe.

Exchanged mine a few months ago, a great service and excellent value for money. Does make a significant difference, whilst I don’t like really thick rims, BMW M Sport as an example, it’s just the right size for me, the OE wheel was becoming slippy.

4 Likes

My new Royal Sterring Wheel arrived today.

Really, really excited.

As soon the box was opened it was evident just how much work and craftmanship had gone into making this wheel.

My option was: Slightly thicker with thumb grips added and a flat bottom, perforated leather on the sides, smooth leather top and bottom, with silver stitches.

Fitting tool me just on an hour and a half, using extreme care and following a youtube video.

Most fiddly part of the job was finding the three clips that hold the airbag in place.

You will know when you are pushing in the right place though once you locate them.

Its worth noting too that when you remove the trim pieces off the old wheel, you are working the clips out of rubber grommets rather than “clicking” them out. Do not rush this part of the job.

Re-assembling the pieces is very easy and satifying.

As soon as the new wheel is fitted back on the car the transformation is amazing, what a difference to the feel, the look, the whole character of the dashboard.

I really am very pleased. It is a upgrade well worth the £265 it cost me.

Big thanks to Jack and the team at Royal Steering Wheels. Another fantastic job.

I will send my old wheel back to them tomorrow

4 Likes

These look great from Royal. Look similar to the Mercedes AMG which feel and look great. I love the flat bottom ones and they do make a difference too when entering the car. Especially for us over 6’ :blush: I’ve booked my NC wheel to be sent off when summer is over.