Steering Wheel - ND

1. My model of MX-5 is:ND __
  2. I’m based near:N Yorks __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on steering wheel replacement __

I don’t like the standard steering wheel on my 2015 ND .Too big , too thin rimmed and too slippy . In the days before multi functional wheels festooned in buttons I always had a Momo Veloce wheel on my cars . I fancy a Momo Prototipo on my MX5

Thinking about it , the only control I really use on my wheel is the volume control. I occasionally flick through the mpg/average speed read out but never use cruise control or the phone. The volume has another control which just leaves the read out control .

Anyone put on a new wheel? Any issue with insurance , as effectively I am deleting an airbag ? Any ideas on replicating read out control elsewhere ?

Nothing too technical- I struggle to wire a plug - but general views, especially those informed by experience are welcome .

I don’t think you can do this. Removing an original equipment airbag is an MoT major defect and therefore an immediate fail.
From Mot tester’s manual:
7.1.5. Airbags

This inspection is for all airbags fitted as original equipment other than on Class 3 vehicles.

A passenger airbag that is switched off is not a defect.

|Defect|Category|

|(a) An airbag fitted as original equipment obviously missing |Major|
|(b) Not in use|
|© An airbag obviously inoperative |Major|

JS

You could try Royal Steering Wheels (https://royalsteeringwheels.com/)
They can certainly make it less thin and less slippy

There are lots of options out there, here is one company.

Guardian Design

You can even get a wood rimmed version from Japan, “Rev9” from memory.

1 Like

Just swap wheels before and after MOT. Job done. Fit what you like then.
I assume you’ll get a dash warming light if it doesn’t see the stock wheel tho, I haven’t looked but it’s bound to happen.

I went with Royal Sterling Wheels. Mainly so I retained SWC functionality (cruise control etc) but also to alleviate insurance and MOT issues. I did consider having two wheels to swap at MOT time, you can get a resistor to trick airbag sensor into thinking it’s still connected. However, God forbid that you get involved in an incident/accident, the insurance may not like the idea of an airbag delete. I did tell my insurers the wheel had been recovered and they were fine about it :+1:

Thicker perforated and smooth sections, thumb grips and thicker rim with a’flat’ bottom to finish it off.

Barrie

1 Like

Insurance will cover you removing the stock wheel as long as you tell them. It’s simply one of the things they class as a modification. They class anything as a modification tho, even fitting a different aerial is a modification.
As for safety issues of having no airbag, there isn’t one on my motorbike :man_shrugging: Make your own decision if you’re happy to ‘risk it’.

My Seven didn’t have one either- but that was legal and not an MOT fail . If removing the bag would fail an MoT I am not even considering it . Thanks all for the thoughts - some links to check out now - but no wooden ones thanks- bit retro for my taste .

I have a royal wheel, very nice and colour matched to the kuro interior!

MX5 Steering Wheel smallfile

1 Like

10% off guardian design wheels (for certain models atm), i’m going to order a Corsa 330.

1 Like

Makes you wonder, for people who have no use for steering wheel controls, what a Prototipo-style wheel would look like with an air bag in the middle.

The nearest I could find was the BMW Z8 steering wheel:

1 Like

Check out these IL Motorsport steering wheels also

Also these Zymexx wheels

https://www.zymexx.de/shop/

1 Like

This is mine from Guardian, along with the spacer to help bring it a little closer

Please tell me more about the steering wheel spacer and where I could buy one from?

I had a spacer but it drove me mad having to take my hand off the wheel to reach the stalks. I’ve found a US seller of telescopic steering columns for about £200 do that’s my next plan.

Whilst the steering column on the ND1 is only adjustable for “rake” on the ND2 it is adjustable for “reach” as well, not a heck of a lot, but it does help,

If you have an ND-1 then you can retrofit the ND-2 adjustable reach steering column.

https://www.124spider.org/threads/telescoping-steering-wheel-mazda-to-fiat.33158/page-2

More details here

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=710743

2 Likes

This is the spacer I bought:

ND Steering wheel space on EBay

Ludicrously expensive compared to the cost of of a “normal” spacer for an aftermarket wheel, but it allowed me to get the wheel as close as I wanted when I had the seat back where I wanted the seat base to be

Look up 5 posts. You will see I already said about the telescopic column. You can get one delivered for circa £200 from USA. Over here they are £684 I priced one up.
You only have so so half of the column.
When I called Mazda they priced it but when I said I was fitting it to a ND1 they refused to sell it to me saying it wouldn’t be legal because it changes the cars type approval, so if you do go that route lie and say you have an ND2 already and need to replace the thing after a shunt.

Look up 2 posts before you mentioned steering columns. You will see my custom steering wheel (which I fitted with a spacer) has Racing Orange stitching and a Racing Orange stripe… :wink: