Steering wheel not centered after replacement

Hi
I had the steering wheel changed on my ND2 with a really nice thick one by Royal Steering Wheels.
The fitter told me that he could not get it centered better and it’s slightly off now - annoying as it has a red stripe to mark the center.
I had a full geo done a BBR a month ago so I would not like to spoil it.
What is the best recommendation ?
I searched the forum and a tyre fitting center may not be the optimal solution from what I gather.

thanks

If you are a DIYer then the easiest way is to see which way the wheel needs to rotate and adjust BOTH track rods by the same amount in the OPPOSITE direction. What you take off one side you add to the other and so change the relationship of the steering wheel to the rack without changing any angles.
You would need to mark things up very accurately and only adjust the lengths by small amounts until you get the wheel straight.
:heart:

thanks @Mad_Malc … I don’t have the skills nor easy access under the car !

That is a shame. Any competent tyre fitter should be able to do it quite easily for you, may be if you say roughly where you are a few ‘safe’ suggestions may be forthcoming.
:heart:

1 Like

Ironically enough , Royal remedied the slight misalignment of my original wheel when they fitted my similarly red striped wheel. My local Mazda dealer firstly denied there was a problem ,then grudgingly admitted there was one but that as they didn’t sell me the car , even thought it was under warranty still as 'it was a trivial issue but very time consuming to fix '. Actually, about ten minutes , as I saw at Royal …And the dealer wonders why I have gone elsewhere since.

3 Likes

I live near Tolworth KT5 postcode.
Surbiton Tyre and Wheels say they would not attempt this as it may cause uneven tyre wear

This is complete BS.

1 Like

Yes this. A small mark on each track rod for reference and try an eight of a turn on both sides (in the correct direction of course) then a quick trip to check the result.

Any competent tyre place/ local garage could do it.

1 Like

I will try Back on Track Guildford where I used to take my Elise. not very local though