Stelvio

Simple question I hope  Stelvio pass is it worth doing or all hype and overcrowded?

Yes it is worth it if you do it from this side into Italy take the Gavia pass into Italy that is very interesting.
Peanuts

Yes it is worth it if you do it from this side into Italy take the Gavia pass into Italy that is very interesting.
Peanuts

Yes, it is worth doing - if only to say that you have been there , and yes it can be a little crowded in the summer. It’s usually less crowded (and driveable) around late May early June but worth checking that its open. When we were there in June last year there was still quite a bit of snow at the top and the road from the summit into Switzerland was still closed.

In my opinion a much better driving road (and usually less crowded) is the road from Bormio to Livigno. With the added advantage that when you arrive in Livigno you will find some of the cheapest petrol in Europe and also the road beside Lago di Livigno towards the Swiss border, which features in the opening sequence of a James Bond movie - can’t remember which one.

what he said, 

spot the MX-5s on the Stelvio…

i fully recommend it - but also do the Umbrail Pass in Switzerland that leads straight onto Stelvio

also, try going early in the morning to minimise traffic. i was stuck behind a Golf the whole way down when i did it, however it was still absolutely awesome

watch out for snow though, this was in June!

and watch out for the cows!!

Yes, it’s brilliant. We did what Peanuts suggested, the Gavia Pass to Bormio and then onto the Stelvio from there. We did it the third weekend in September last year. We went down from the summit at around 4.30 pm and had a clear run down with no traffic. I think early morning or teatime is best for avoiding traffic.

If you get out there I’d recommend the Timmelsjoch pass as well from Italy over into Austria. Its awesome as well.

Have a look on roadstertouren.at, it has videos of all the popular passes.

Thanks for the replies will add your suggestions to the planning meeting we are having. Hoping to go next year late June ish. should be a good run for the new Mk4  

Fingers crossed its not snowing at the top of stelvio!

Three couples going, one in a Boxster one in a MGB roadster with a V8 conversion and us in new Mk4, an interesting combination!!

Cant wait, me and my 14 yr old son setting off tomorrow afternoon.

We just got back last weekend after a week based in Grindelwald, alternate days out to drive Furka, Susten, Albula, St Bernardino + others along the way, and needless to say went that little extra to take in Stelvio. Let’s just say if you were anywhere near & didn’t do it then you’d only regret it! Traffic was busy on most all of 'em especially weekends but generally folk pull over if they are just plodding, In the whole time we were there only had to make 2 overtakes on the passes. Watch out for cyclists: between them, motorbikes, camper vans, and sports cars there is a wide variety of vehicle size, speed, and visibility to cope with especially when your jaw is languishing in the footwell and you are just about remembering to take in the switchbacks between views of amazing scenery. St.B was one of the prettiest for that!

I rode the Stelvio in 2011. Certainly one to tick off the list but tbh, there were some better roads in the area with fast sweeping bends which were far more enjoyable. The Stelvio is a bit ‘nadgery’ in places and you spend a lot of time looking at 90 degrees at each bend. Lots of camper vans  proceeding very slowly, not too much of a problem on a bike but frustrating in a car I imagine.

Well just got back and absolutely amazing, the most most beautiful scenery I have ever seen, the roads fantastic, even got a wave from a German mx5, but you must try the other passes my favourite was the Bormio pass great fast road with tunnels and Stelvio type hairpins. I’m going back next year honestly can’t Wait, 1600 miles all with the top down  THIS IS A MUST DO JOURNEY. 

we are going later this week can’t waitWink

Doing the passes in Switzerland at present…great fun

After Stelvio we are driving through the Italian Lakes

We did this last year while we were in Italy for the F1 grand prix. Yes, it’s a spectacular road but I rather preferred the run from Davos to Stelvio. Now that was a great driving road.

Pyrénées are a good alternative by the by. 

Noticed on the video shot by the lads who died on the Glossglockner the other day (Rip)the was a true red coming toward them. 

Make sure your brakes are in tip top condition.  Well all of the car but …

Tunnels are a must where possible :slight_smile:

That is sound advice. My brakes had plenty on the pads and discs when we left UK but by the time we got home after 2,600 miles and many passes I had to replace the front pads and discs. Talking to a guy who was on a rally run in his £500 Mk2 he said he had stripped and rebuilt all 4 callipers and put new pads on all-round before setting off … good move. We were never without brakes, but the constant switchbacks does take its toll, no matter how much engine braking you throw in.

well just got to our apartment after doing Stelvio in pouring rain…interesting and fun all in one go.

Hope to go back up and down today or tomorrow in better weather