Strange black NB

Driving home from work this evening, shortly before coming off the M61 at junction 6 I saw a black NB with white decals all over the rear window, the lowest lowering I have ever seen and wheels that stuck out at the bottom at a funny angle. It left the motorway at the same exit and blasted ahead of me towards Horwich, but I caught him up at the traffic lights. Went our separate ways after the Beehive Roundabout.

I see a few 5s with extreme camber at the rear, more than an old Calibra Turbo. It seems to be the latest fashion. Unless you drive around in tight circles the whole time, I doubt it does much for even tyre wear.

“Tell me you shake your head in digust over modded cars without actually telling me”

1 Like

People can ruin their cars however they like. However, extreme neg camber causes rapid wear at the inside of the tyres and generally messes up everything except hard cornering.

“Stanced” is not new. Been around at least 10, maybe 15 years.

Back in the day, the Baby Boomers liked to jack up the rears of their Cortinas, add mood lighting to illuminate the crusty diff in a red hue. Paint their rear drum brakes bright red to show them off.

The origin of extreme camber in Japan.Onikan means “demon camber”. Drifters in Japan really promoted the Bosozuku cult. Drifters need the car as low as possible to promote grip.

Suspension setups are a compromosed. The factory setup is compromised to promote ride comfort and dull-as-dishwater things like tyre wear, which is only of interest to Q-tips.

Many MX5 owners, of all ages, like to lower their car. They are not making it better. Now the ride is worse, the shocks will fail earlier, there is a little more negative camber, enough to worry the Q-tips.

I don’t get how there is a constant in the MX5 community of one part always denigrating another for their choices.

Someone has invested time and effort into a 20 year old MX5 that was otherwise destined for the dustbin. That’s a good thing. The car is not ruined. The owner, for whats most important to them, has improved it, just like someone who tarts up their MX5 with MX5parts chrome catalog and Ford badging, hasn’t ruined the look of their car, but improved it, in their view. Or the people who seek out the Pringle Jumper special edition MX5 think they are buying a better MX5.

2 Likes

Did I actually say anywhere that I didn’t like it?

Screenshot from my dashcam…

1 Like

I saw a car (not an MX-5) with wheels like that (though the angle there doesn’t look quite as extreme as the one I saw) and pointed it out to my fellow passenger in the taxi I was in. The taxi driver overheard and said (this was maybe 3 years ago now) that it was the current craze among the younger drivers.

He said there were a lot less seen around now as the polce had done a big crack down on stopping vehicles with angled wheels as apparenty it’s not road legal (maybe there’s an angle where it’s considered unsafe).

BQR - is BQR 123 who is bmxer turned in to car youtuber based in gloucester. My comment was not directed at you and you also didnt say there choice to ruin :slight_smile: Funny thing is the lad has a hard top and thats some ÂŁÂŁÂŁ now a days

1 Like

I don’t like it, it most ride and handle like cr*p.
M-m

“Back in the day, the Baby Boomers liked to jack up the rears of their Cortinas, add mood lighting to illuminate the crusty diff in a red hue. Paint their rear drum brakes bright red to show them off.”

“The factory setup is compromised to promote ride comfort and dull-as-dishwater things like tyre wear, which is only of interest to Q-tips.”

Yesterday’s stancing boomers are today’s Q-tips. They are the same people. Ex-mods, rockers, skinheads, hippies, football hooligans, rude boys, punks, new romantics. Many post on here and were all or many of the above.

Beats moping about, oblivious to your surroundings, gawping at your device though, eh?

Clearly a prat who cannot see out of his/her/it (politically Correct) rearview mirror!! D

Well done David. Politically correct yes granted, grammatically correct unfortunately no. But the input is well received.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.