Strange "vehicle" glass?

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help? I have found two pieces of glass in my garden, (new house). One looks like the curved wrap around rear screen from a ford consul 1956 ish but more pointed at the ends. The other looks like a front screen. Both are 1/4" thick and have no markings. Both measure about 47" long and the “rear” is 14" high in the middle. The possible front one is 19" high in the middle, decreasing to 18" at the ends. I’m intrigued as to what they might be for or from? Held up the rear one against the soft top on my NC and it is quite a bit smaller than a hard top glass would be I think. I am going to try to upload a couple of pics. Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Kind regards
Marc

Hmm, how about something like a Vauxhall Victor?

Aah yes, maybe I’m getting my front / rear the wrong way around? I wonder what size they would be?
thanks
Marc

Now you’re asking the impossible!
My memory is not that good. It’s more than fifty years since I sat in a friend’s one at Uni, and it was terminally rusty, and creaked ominously, for months. BUT that death trap had an MOT so was still on the road!

Maybe I’ll try to find an owners club contact and see what they think? They can’t all have rusted away:)
cheers
Marc

Maybe an old Humber??

I was going to say humber hawk

47" is more like the size of an Anglia although they never had a curved screen like that, and I do remember how narrow that Victor felt

47" is about a foot too narrow for a Humber. I had a Series 4 Hawk for a year or so, it was massive inside, an easy three broad bums across on the bench front seat, an ideal family car.

Being so massive it saved my life when an idiot jumped a red light and drove into it. A traffic light pole went almost six inches into the rear door behind me, after the Sunbeam Alpine sports car hit it square across the rear wheel arch on the passenger side.
If I’d been in our Mini traveller I’d have been killed, because it would have been cut in half like a twig with a pair of secateurs.
The Hawk merely had the dent in the door and the wing was slightly flattened with the print of the front of the Alpine. The impact spun 30cwt of Hawk 180 degrees around the traffic light pole, broke both rear springs and the diff and dumped fifteen gallons of petrol.
I was so glad I’d upgraded the seat belts from two-point diagonal to three point including the lap strap.

Early 1960s humber Sceptre? That had a wrapped round rear screen.

1 Like

Good thinking, you may have hit the nail on the head!

Thanks guys, it looks like we might be getting somewhere. I will look at the dimensions if I can find them online.
Lucky you Richard in the Hawk. About 8 years ago a guy I know bought a Hawk to Banger Race! He sold the original engine and fitted a Ford V6 I think!
Cheers
Marc

So not this one, which I think has a V8, I saw at the 2017 Uxbridge AutoShow

My old Hawk was a 2.2l long-stroke four with a bypass(!) oil filter, clearly an afterthought tagged on. It was so low-geared it was over-revving in top at 70, and I holed a piston. Fortunately it was so high up it was easy to take off the sump and take out the piston past the crank!
I also had to modify the bearing between input and output shafts in the gearbox, replaced the cluster of needle rollers by a phosphor bronze bush with staggered lubricating balls.
With standard proper double wishbone front suspension and ARBs all round and wearing Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet ER70 XJ6 tyres (5 for £20!) it handled like a mini in any weather (and without power steering).

Yup, Humber Sceptre looks promising that V8 hawk is amazing!

There must be some extra reinforcement to keep the front of the car attached to the back :crazy_face:

No problem with the Hawk! It had massive over-strength, very thick metal and lots of gusset panels everywhere. Being used to repairing rust on Fords and Jags, mass-produced light-weight cars built on the cheap with the absolute minimum number of pieces of thin bodywork, I could not believe how much metal was in my rust-free Hawk. It’s no wonder Humber went bust.

I remember the wings being double skinned and lead loading was used to smooth the panels. Column gear change, petrol filler through the back light lower reflector. My dad had an ex mod 57 and then a two tone green 60

Did you solve the mystery?

Not yet, been busy with work and “lockdown jobs” :slight_smile: :grinning:
Will try some more detective work later.
Thanks
Marc