Sucking oil out

1. My model of MX-5 nd
    wondering if anyone does a oil change by sucking the oil out rather than draining it used to do it on a mini cooper s saved jacking the car up

I’ve just done this on my 124 Spider. Dip stick was showing 3.3L and I managed to get 3.5L out. You can hear and feel the extraction pipe hitting the sump on the Fiat 1.4L multi air engine. Just pull it back a fraction and keep pumping. Took about 35minutes. Would have taken longer to jack it up and remove the belly panels

You’ll need to jack it up to get to the filter anyway won’t you? Or are you only changing the oil?

it’s been a few years now so I might have this wrong I thought I could get to the oil filter from under the bonnet I used to have a BMW 3 litre diesel and the oil filter was on top of the engine next to the rocker cover

Not like that on a Mazda engine, it hangs down next to the sump.

it was just a thought I had but if you have to jack the car up to change the filter your better of draining it while you’re under their not much point sucking it out

Merely for your delectation :laughing: :~ https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uc2rVaf9fss

1 Like

Amongst others I have a smart diesel, they don’t have a sump plug so sucking the oil out is the only way unless I turn the car upside down! :joy: trick is to put a ‘kink’ in the hose, pump away causing a vacuum, release the kink and it sucks almost all the oil out in one go! :+1: nice and hot for the oil, just be careful and wear decent gloves. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark: