Sunday 2nd October - ICE Meets Steam Power

Not a David’s Mid Week Run but a David’s Sunday run for a ‘Steam Up’ event.

Experience the Steam Power of the Industrial Revolution and visit a museum tucked away in the Norfolk countryside just south of Norwich. This is one of Forncett Industrial Steam Museum’s steam days which are not that common so book up for this run asap if you are interested as we are limited to 10 cars.
We shall first have a bit of a run to arrive about 11am when the café is open serving teas, coffee and traditional Aga roasted hot pork rolls.
Steam engines include one of the three that powered London’s Tower Bridge pre electirification. Another giant is the Hopwas Beam Engine ‘Spruce’. The two single cylinder engines, ‘Spruce and Woody’, were in service at Hopwas Pumping Station near Tamworth from 1879 until 1962. More engines are available. Entry charge is £10 pp.

Meet 9.45am B&Q (South) car park NR4 6FB for a prompt 10am departure. This will give us roughly an hour’s run on B & C class roads to Forncett Industrial Steam Museum, Low Road, Forncett St Mary, NR16 1JJ.

Anyone got the ‘puff’ for this, if so let me know. David

The list.

1. David
  2. Paul
  3. Ian
  4. Kevin
  5. Mark
  6. Rona & Phil
  7. Chris

Above: ex Tower Bridge Engine
Below: Hopwas Beam Engine

Parade of small steam engines but wait … ■■■ someone’s actually taking a photo of my car!

Hi David - I’d be interested in this. It is the day after we return from a trip to Italy, so I don’t know if ‘her who has to be obeyed’ will have any things for me to do that day. Pencil me in please and I’ll confirm or otherwise once I’ve had a chance to chat with her.

Paul

Paul,
If it helps you could join ‘us’, I say us but at the moment you’re the first to sign up, at the museum. However please note that we cannot arrive until after 11am. I’m organising a run from B&Q (South) hoping to arrive at 11am. The place is just a few miles south of Norwich and after our visit probably we’ll all make our own way home so this flexibility might help you get things done at home and enjoy the ‘Steam Up’.
As you said - just keep me informed.
David

Could I join this one please.

Ian…….no not that one !!!

Ian
He of the silver Mk3.75, be good to have you along and your on the ‘short’ list.
David

Hello David
Really would like to join you, as it looks a good trip, however we travel to Gatwick that day, so sorry we would like to give our apologies.

Regards Alan Wright

Hi David, Please can you count me in. Kevin.

Alan
You are on the list.
David

Kevin,
You are counted in.
David

Hi David,
Please add me to the list. Thanks.
Mark

Mark
I will do that so don’t get ‘steamed up’. A good Club night I thought, some new members and Chris lost for words.
David

Please add phil and I , thanks.

1 Like

Rona
You and Phil are on the list.
David

Hi David
Don’t think you read my reply correctly.

I gave our apologies

Regards Alan

Apologies Alan, your message as plain as could be, senior moment on my part.
David

Hi David
We all have that moment :joy::rofl:

Hi David - my wife is not over interested in stationary steam engines so it will just be me! Does the museum have a cafe of sorts or do we bring our own pic nic?
I still intend to join you, but… I have heard that Ryan Air Italy could be on strike the day we are due to return - 1st October, the Saturday. If that’s the case I guess an extra day in Italy won’t be too bad even if I miss your trip.

Paul

Paul,
Not exactly a cafe but they are serving teas and coffees, hopefully not instant. Plus hot pork rolls from their Aga, so they sound great unless you’re a non meat eater.
Fingers crossed for an uncomplicated flight home.
David

Hot pork rolls sound good to me!
Hope I don’t get stuck in Italy, but there are far worse places to be marooned in!

See you Sunday.

Paul