Sussex Downs visit to Chestnut Tree House Childrens Hospice Saturday 6th October 2018

Event : Sussex Downs Tour of Normandy & WW2 Memorial sites

Date : Mon 10th September for 4 nights/5 days.
Return on Fri 14 Sept leaving at 1630hrs from Caen Ferry Terminal to land at Portsmouth at 2115hrs.

Meeting Place : Brittany Ferry Terminal, Wharf Road, Portsmouth PO2 8RU

Timings (Out) : 0715hrs (latest check in time) at Portsmouth Ferry Terminal for 0815hrs sailing to Caen. 1500hrs : Arrive at Ouisterham Ferry Terminal, Caen.

Timings (In) : 1530hrs (latest check in time) at Ouisterham Car Ferry Terminal (latest check in) for 1630hrs sailing to Portsmouth.

Tour Outline :
This is a self-booked Tour using Brittany Ferries website to book your own Ferry Tickets using the Portsmouth/Caen Ferry Route and Booking.com (or similar on-line Hotel booking site) to arrange our accomodation.
Paul Cleaver is leading this tour and has worked up detailed itineraries and will assist you with booking your ferry and Hotel accomodation in France.
The aim is to stay at the same Hotels during our Tour, or you can upgrade if you wish & will also depend on availability when booking.
A suitable rendevous point to be settled for each of the Tours will be identified, if the group is not all staying at the same hotel.

Stage 1 :
4 x nights in Caen with a selection of full day Tours (from which you will need to pick 3) to visit WW2 Memorial & Normandy Tourist sites. i.e :-

Tour A Battery sur Melville - Museum of Atlantic Wall - Coastal Drive to Juno Beach - Caen Memorial site. (75km Circular Tour)
Tour B Arromanche & 360 degree Cinema visit - Longues Sur Mer Battery & British Cemetry at Bayeux & Bayeax Tapestry Visit (100km circular Tour)
Tour C Utah beach - Battery of Azeville - St Vaast & Coastal Drive on East side of Cherbourg Peninsula. (300km Tour)
Tour D Honfleur via Bridge of Normandy and viewing area + Coastal drive back to Caen (150km Circular Tour)
Tour E Swiss Normandy - Orne River Valley - Falaise & Chateau Visit + circular drive back to Hotel (140km circular Tour)

Stage 2 :
Their is the option of joining Paul Cleaver on an extended Tour for a further 7 nights :-
2 x night at Cholet in the Vendee Area & visit Pau du Fou (a peculairly French Medieval re-enactment Theme Park)
3 x nights at Tours in the Loirre Valley for Chateau visits over 3 days
2 x nights at Le Mans to visit the Circuit Museum/Drive on the Public road circuit & visit the old Town of Le Mans.
Return on Friday 21st September on the 1630hrs Ferry from Caen Ferry Terminal arriving 2115hrs at Portsmouth.

Costs :
?238 for Return Ferry Car + 2 passengers on Brittany Ferries Portsmouth /Caen route.
Stage 1 : ?248 for 4 x nights room only ( flexible rate - cheaper if you pre pay) in Campanile Caen Nord. (You can upgrade if you wish/ also subject to availability when booking).
Stage 2 : ?TBC for 7 x nights B&B

For further information : (Full itinerary with links to websites & Over view Google Maps)
Please send an email to Paul : paulclea@gmail.com (M: 07789 256652)

As at 25 Jan 2018, the following people are going and have booked :-
Paul (11 night tour)
Paul & Jane (11 night tour)
Miles & June (11 night tour)
Alan & Pauline (11 night tour)
Martin & Nicky ( 4 night tour)

Kristoff

I have sent Paul a e-mail asking for more info.

Very interested in joining you guys on this trip.

Steve & Jill

Hi folks,
Just to say there was still availability at the Campanile in Caen during February, but we do not have a room allocation.

If you are considering coming on this trip, please get in touch with me to request the full information pack, which comprises an itinerary and google maps to help you decide whether to book.

There is a second email you will need from me too, to help you with your booking once you have decided your are coming!

Kind regards
Paul

Thanks to Paul for a brilliant first leg of this trip.  Five well organised fun and interesting days.  

On Saturday, 6th October Chestnut Tree House, the Children's Hospice near Arundel, West Sussex will be holding an open day and we are hoping to raise some funds for this amazing charity.

We are planning to meet at the Squire and Horse Pub, Bury, RH20 1NS at 12 noon for lunch at 12.30 and will then drive to Chestnut Tree House, arriving at about 2.45pm.  It will be possible to take a tour of the house and/or take a walk in their special garden. Refreshments are available in the grounds.

If you would like to take part we would kindly ask for a £10 donation per car and would also be grateful if you could provide a prize for the raffle, which will be drawn after lunch.

Could you please let Lyn know if you are able to join us and she will e mail you the lunch menu so that the food can be ordered in advance. (This will be sent out towards the end of September as the pub will be making some changes to their menus.) Lyn's email address is whitcombsgapyear@gmail.com.

A great day with the Sussex Downs members, a thank you to both Lyn & Barbara for being the hosts, wonderful meal at the Squire & horse for the lunch, and the quickly arranged visit by Paul to the Haskins Garden Centre in place of the cancelled visit to the Chestnut Tree Children’s Hospice, I truly hope the raffle has raised a large sum for the hospice… Oh and by the way I am deep trouble with the ‘fuzzy’ photo of my dear wife Patricia lol

regards

Patricia & John 

Thanks John

Great photos and we raised £200.00 for The Chestnut Tree House Children Hospice with the raffle and donations. Great day although awful weather.