Switchable maps

Hi
Can someone explain what a switchable map is and how it works please? I thought it would be a separate map stored on the ECU but I don’t understand how it would alter boost if that’s controlled by the wastegate actuator. My understanding of that is a spring opens a valve in the wastegate when it reaches a certain pressure?
Thanks in advance

2 Likes

By using an electronic boost controller.

1 Like

The electronic controller tricks the actuator. The boost controller is fitted between the turbo and actuator vacuum line.
Eg, if the actuator is set to 8psi, but the turbo is making 15psi and you don’t want the actuator to open and therefore would reduce the pressure, then the boost controller will vent the vacuum line.
This means that the turbo runs at the higher boost, but the actuator never knows and stays closed.
Hope that helps.

Thank you for explaining that to me. It does help :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your explanation. I was wondering, do you have to plug the laptop in to switch maps or could it be switched via my unused air con button? (Eunos na 1.6 turbo)

Hi, sorry I’m a Mk3 owner so don’t know how the older cars would do it , But as far as I know it would be controlled by a button.

On the mk3 its via the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.