Switzerland Passes

I’ve just got back from a brilliant driving holiday round Europe, unfortunately not in the 5 but instead in my partner’s S2000. We did many fantastic passes throughout France, Italy, Switzerland & Austria but the best selection (I wasn’t allowed to drive as they were so good) were the Furka, Grimsel & Susten Passes in Switzerland which go round in a circle from Andermatt. Not only were they great driving roads but the scenery was fantastic especially the stop we made to go into the Rhone Glacier!

The Col de Turini & Route Napoleon were also rather good to drive but I’d avoid the Stelvio & Umbrail passes on a weekend if I were you, great driving roads they were not, - fantastic views though! We may have had a bad experience that day though as there appeared to be a local tractor rally going on! Spotted a lovely yellow Italian mk1 at the top of the Stelvio too!

Sounds fab. I’ve followed La Tour de France through Les Alps in an SMax, but doing it in a S2000 or a Mx-5 seems more heart-in-the-mouth/laugh-a-minute fun ;-).
Bought a 2001 Mx-5 in May. Using it at work in Holland, but looking forward to taking it home to Austria though:-)

We are currently resting in Pau having come from Carcassonne vIa Bossost and the Col de Portillon and the Col de Aspin, parked next to a TVR with the bonnet up (?) on the the summit of the Col de Aspin. Last year we did Col de Torini and Stelvio but have to say that the Pyrennes are much more enjoyable.

Forgot to mention that the Col de Portillon is on the Tour de France route in a few days. Much easier in an MX-5 than on a bike.

Thats interesting about some of the passes being so busy. so i’m glad I didnt miss too much.

I had intended to do some of them in May but didn’t have enough time, and finished up going around the northside of Lake Lucerne and passing through William Tell’s home town on the way up to Klausen pass. 1800 metres. Hotel and cafe ontop.

I’m planning my next tripand will look at trying to fit some of the passes in.

Thanks for the post.

Stunning views and great driving roads.

Makes me miss home in Austria all that much morre. Mind you, I am pleasantly surprised by the scenery here in Limburg, Netherlands and the surrounding areas of Germany and Belgium…so glad I am not in Hainault though…depressing…and to think that Mons will be the European city of culture for 2015.

My recommendation: do not visit. Instead, find a mountain pass (or 3) and enjoy.

BTW, you could have closed the passenger door